• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail tank will not fit

akvector

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
When I first got this tank it fight right in no fight or anything. Now that I have taken it off to change the exhaust i can not get it to fit in place.

I drained all the fuel and have the cap off to let any air escape that needs to. I tried to ratchet strap the tank forward but no luck.

It seems like the tank got bigger. Any suggestions? I can tell that it is hitting on the cross bar on the top side. I know that i am fitting the studs as well.

Nikolai said:
Did you loosen the four bolts that hold the steering gate?

Son of a bit@h. Could have used this advise a week ago. I had to fight like a bast@rd to get my tank back on.

akvector, if you try this and it works well let us know.

It happens to the tanks...Happened to mine...Just make sure you remember to reinstall the bolts on the bracket :)

dont ask..... :)

I read on here somewhere that you can use a shop vac to reduced the diameter of the tank by removing the air inside of it - in essense compressing it. They said to place the hose inside the tank opening, seal it with a rag and make sure the tank is empty and dry as well as the room being properly ventilated. Never tried it but thought I would offer my .02 cents.

Kope

I talked to Seth and he suggested to loosen the 4 bolts as well and that the tank expanding is normal.

It was midnight last night so I stopped and that was going to be my next thing was to try that.

Mt i hope you did not find out too far down the trail!!!!

Shop vac not sure if it would work? I do think it would collapse the sides but I need the top at the front to collapse.

It only needs a couple millimeters and i will be there! Will let you know tonight

I used the Shop Vac method along with loosening the bolts on the cage. This method worked well.

Loosening the bolts did the trick. Still had to force it forward but it is in there!!!

The new muffler sounds great!!! I will get some pics and sound clips for those interested.

Is this on the newer trail tank or the older model? I just replace my exhaust and had nothing but problems re-installing my tank. Finally got it on, but I have problems installing my new hood. The holes don't seem to line up very good, making the thumbscrews hard to install. I got it, but I am hoping with the hood on, that it will mold to the tank a little and when I have to remove and install later, it's a little easier. Any ideas on how to make the holes line up easier? Thanks.

It's going to be a constant fight to get the hood on. I still can't get one of the four thumbscrews on. It's even worse when it's cold.

I have the older model. Not looking forward to removing the hood ever. I'm hoping that it will "loosen" up the longer it's on the sled. The old hood seems to be a little more flexible than the new one.

Hey guys, what about the way the seat fits (or doesn't fit)? When I force the tank into place so that it just barely clears the two studs in the tunnel, I find that the two tabs that stick down from the seat assembly are about a half inch rearward of where they need to be. I have to force the bolts into place and am concerned about crossthreading them. I took the tank and seat off and matched them up and it became obvious that the rearmost part of the tank is too long and prevents the seat from being properly placed. It seems like that issue as well as the tank not sliding forward enough cause the seat and plastics poor fit. I relocated the coolant hoses a little and sprayed silicone all around, but it didn't help that much. Anybody have any suggestions on improving the fit?

I had the same issue. I had to loosen the bolts on the steering gate to gain that needed clearance to fit the tank all the way forward. Now the two studs are at the far end of the tank and the seat bolts up perfect. Now on the other hand, I had a heck of a time fitting the hood on. But luckily it was warm out and I was able to let it sit a little in the sun which seemed to help.

Back