• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Transmission oil drain problem - plug cannot be removed

Jim Bob21

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
vk professional
My 2010 VK pro (new to me) is not very user friendly with respect to changing the transmission oil. The drain plug is on the inside of the tunnel and there is not enough clearance between the tunnel and the front axle drive cog ... you cannot remove the plug/bolt from the drain hole as it is too long and contacts the cog before threading out.. I had to take a die grinder and remove 1/8 inch of the cog wheel ridge around the inside edge so that the bolt can thread out. Now it just makes it out of the hole but still tricky to get back in. picture below shows the edge of the tunnel...the bolt/plug partly out.. and the notch that I had to make in the cog.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K0gfMljDxpONLY7ES9_BpJ7wl8NszvMC/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

Have not done mine yet and I can see I have nothing to look forward to. Thanks for the heads up and the picture/explanation.

The issue is not the drain plug but, in fact those involute drivers on the outside ends of the driveshaft have migrated outward towards the tunnel and the only way to correct this is to remove the driveaxle and press them back in position! Seen this before on my 06 pro when I changed the track and installed no slip drivers! I believe there have been threads started about this same issue on the site before, cheers!

The issue is not the drain plug but, in fact those involute drivers on the outside ends of the driveshaft have migrated outward towards the tunnel and the only way to correct this is to remove the driveaxle and press them back in position! Seen this before on my 06 pro when I changed the track and installed no slip drivers! I believe there have been threads started about this same issue on the site before, cheers!
That makes total sense and is likely what's caused it.

Back