• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Close Offs

the only way Id consider it closed that much is with the header and muffler being ceramic coated...it will get plastic melting hot in there with it closed that much I bet..

Come on Yamaha, you guys made an effective tunnel block off kit that included heat reflective inserts for the Phazer. Are we having a hard time figuring something out for the Nytro. Not enough space under there or what????

Hey SJ - Guess I'll be a tester in the theroy. But you have me thinking. I think maybe some heatshield insulation under the heat sheild for the muffler might help. That will keep it all nice and cool. :Rockon:

I have a tunnel block off plate in my Nytro, but I cut a 4" wide x 6" long square in it right under the exhaust. This allows some air flow and some snow to kick up through it and keep everything cool.

I have access to an IR camera. I'll take some photos of my sled running and with the seat off to show the heat signature of the exhaust.

Went out for the first ride of the season and my tunnel closer that I made worked great. I had no problems with it over heating my seat or plastics. And after a 120 miles there was minimal snow build up while my buddy which doen't have a tunnel closer had the normal snow build up. Just had to say it works great. :Rockon:

Here's mine, just a partial block-off, but hopefully cuts down on the ice on the outside of the tunnel.

Attachments

• XTX Tunnel Braces 010 (Medium).jpg
    XTX Tunnel Braces 010 (Medium).jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 129
I don't see why you couldn't make a "c" channel the fits above the tunnel protectors to box in the exhsaust, then just ceramic coat, heat tape, or even both from the headder back to keep the heat in the pipe....like a 2-stroke. this way you would get minamal ice buildup, and not cook your tush, or burn your sled to the ground. Something has to happen, this 100lbs of ice in my tunnel after a day of riding is getting old...real old. And I'm tired of putting the boots to my tunnel, if I wanted to kick my sled I woulda picked up a Polaris! I love my Nytro, but the sled handles s*ittier and s*ittier as the day goes on. I might as well pick up a snowcow and ride doubble, the rear end would not sag as much that way. :dunno:

Should work great for you Easy Rider. I have mine extended alittle farther. You will see pics of mine on page 1. I rode in 40 degree weather and 120 miles yesterday. And had no problems with a cooked tush or mealted plastics. The only pre-caution I took was I high-temp painted under the exhaust sheild. Maybe that helped. When I tested mine before I put it all together the hottest part was down by the header. But I left an opening for that so the heat could go down that way which it seemed it did. ;)!

Hey SJ have a ? for you. Did you have a sled start on fire on you? Or are you just big on ceramic coating your exhaust ? I had no problems with my encloser and that was on a warm day. I guess if I went that far with coating the exhaust I'd just wrap the headers. Anyways :Rockon:

nope just think it would lower temps and cause less icing...and of definately lower under seat plastic melting temps..

Back