• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

turbo whine

STAIN

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2022 SIDEWINDER LTX GT
I have a brand new 2024 SRX in my shop to install studs. 84 miles
When I move the sled or shut it off, I can hear a small "whine" as the turbo slows or stops spinning. Sounds like a bearing noise.
I have 2 other Sidewinders right next to it, one with 2200 miles and the other with zero miles and neither make this noise.
Can this turbo have a bearing whine already?
Customer also tuned the sled with zero miles on it so I am not sure how his warranty will be affected.
Anyone else have a turbo with a bad bearing?

11,000kms on my 19 SRX and tunes 270 since new. Always whined on spool down since I purchased it. My 17 was the same.

When I move the sled or shut it off, I can hear a small "whine" as the turbo slows or stops spinning. Sounds like a bearing noise.
I have 2 other Sidewinders right next to it, one with 2200 miles and the other with zero miles and neither make this noise.
Customer also tuned the sled with zero miles on it so I am not sure how his warranty will be affected.

Yamaha just replaced my buddy’s on Warranty. His too did it since new. The turbo locked up last year on him. We got it spinning again but I assume even though it made boost it was supposed to, was always slower than mine even though exact same setup and tunes. Yamaha fought him on it but he prevailed and got a new turbo this fall.

I don't notice any Turbo Whine on my 2019...lol...maybe I just can't hear it anymore...maybe not so funny:confused:

I could always hears mine spin to a stop once I shut the machine off.

The sled is not mine so maybe I will just let him deal with it if it becomes a problem.
On my 2017, the second year I had it, the turbo impeller froze over the summer. I removed the muffler and could get the turbine spinning by hand. It never bothered after that and went @10k miles without issue. It never made noise though.

Issues like this is why I discourage customers from tuning their sled day one, makes denying warranty too easy.
Was very common with the 17 and 18s to whine on shut down and a pile of them were replaced but u don’t hear about the issue much anymore.

Seen a few bad cylinder heads leak antifreeze day one and a couple I know of weren’t covered By warranty as they were tuned.

IMO, rare issue for sure. Overall, the IHI turbo had been very reliable. From the sleds I've worked on, can only hear faint turbo noise on shut down. Have to really know what to listen for.
A "trail" tune by itself would not cause a noise like that unless the turbo had a problem to start with (center bearing too tight), especially at shut down. If it were mine, I'd put the stock tune back in it and take it back to dealer to complain about noise. Have a much better chance of getting warranty replacement.

When my sled was new - the turbo made a very distinct whine on shut down. Not a smooth whistle, almost gnawing sound. It was definitely noticeable. Having not been around turbos I didnt think much of it, until my sled was beside my friends Winder, which was dead silent on shut down by comparison.

Brought the sled to my dealer and I gave him (politely) my ultimatum. Someone needs to go on record and confirm this is acceptable but if it fails outside of warranty it still will be covered OR replace it now.

Yamaha put a new turbo on it. My dealer (who I trust and has been great to me), didnt feel the turbo was necessarily bad - but I asked him if it fails in the next season who is going to cover this.......?

SInce then the new turbo has been quiet and worked very well.

With these short warranty periods - and sometimes our short winters of only a few riding weeks, I wouldn't mess with it and push for a replacement.

Good luck
MS

Back