• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Gear Reduction whine. Oil level and viscosity?

Antewallgren

Veteran
Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
Yamaha Phazer FX 07
Hello!

I have a whine on my Phazer, I guess it's the infamous gear reduction whine. It's done almost 40k miles so I'm maybe not so worried about it. I was thinking if I could reduce the severity of the whine with choosing another engine oil? Maybe abit higher viscosity, because these gears bathe in oil right?

It's just speculative, but maybe it could have something to do with it?

Are you talking about the whine at deceleration? If so, mines done that since I got it. No ideas what it is and is worse if I locked the track when braking and release while still moving.

Are you talking about the whine at deceleration? If so, mines done that since I got it. No ideas what it is and is worse if I locked the track when braking and release while still moving.

No it's the typical whining sound when engine is running. Whine from the gear reduction. I should be fine after 6000km / 40 000 miles I think?

when was the chain case oil last changed?

Yeah because 6000km is closer to 4000 miles (3728 miles to be exact)
https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ACYBGNR8cKffWEnfBmkGSDZCEV2KrRY8EQ:1576277099899&source=hp&ei=axT0Xf25NI_8-gSf7I_YDw&q=6000km+to+miles&oq=6000km&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4j0i10l4.1822.3766..6267...1.0..0.137.764.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.8AON5jIUZHE

But either way, I would think it's safe. Best way to be sure is submit your VIN to Yamaha to confirm if it's in the affected units range.
"40 000"

Yeah, you're safe from the gear blowing up :)

when was the chain case oil last changed?

I don't know, didn't get many papers except for the manual when I bought it two months ago. The chain case, is that where the gearbox is or where the reduction gears are?

Yeah because 6000km is closer to 4000 miles (3728 miles to be exact)
https://www.google.ca/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ACYBGNR8cKffWEnfBmkGSDZCEV2KrRY8EQ:1576277099899&source=hp&ei=axT0Xf25NI_8-gSf7I_YDw&q=6000km+to+miles&oq=6000km&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0l4j0i10l4.1822.3766..6267...1.0..0.137.764.0j6......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i131.8AON5jIUZHE

But either way, I would think it's safe. Best way to be sure is submit your VIN to Yamaha to confirm if it's in the affected units range.

Yeah that is best! They said that all bulletins were taken care of. Don't know if this one is included in that

But could it make any difference with another oil?

Yeah that is best! They said that all bulletins were taken care of. Don't know if this one is included in that

But could it make any difference with another oil?
I don’t think any oil would save one from gear reduction failure. But Synthetic engine oil is not going to hurt your engine for sure. It’s so hard to describe the noise they make both good ones and bad that I have found best way to put your worries to rest are to find another Phazer owner and run the two sleds side by side at idle. A bad one will be way louder whistle. There will be no doubt. And if same you won’t have to think about it anymore.

If it is indeed the gear whine, I would change them for sure. Even if it doesn't have a major failure, there are all those filings constantly contaminating the oil.
Not a hard job except the bottom gear needs a puller.

Have your Yamaha dealer submit your VIN to their database to see if it's one of the affected units with the defective gear reduction just to be sure. If it was really babied for those 3700 miles, it may not have been stressed enough to make the issue manifest itself. Best thing is to find out from Yamaha. They won't cover repairs but at least you can deal with it before it possibly self destructs.

Have your Yamaha dealer submit your VIN to their database to see if it's one of the affected units with the defective gear reduction just to be sure. If it was really babied for those 3700 miles, it may not have been stressed enough to make the issue manifest itself. Best thing is to find out from Yamaha. They won't cover repairs but at least you can deal with it before it possibly self destructs.
I do remember there was a affected range but we could not find the bulletin showing it on YDS. I believe it was just 07's. Only thing found was the new gearset.

Attachments

• Gearset.PDF
    217.7 KB · Views: 141

Back