• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Two Questions About Ski Lift

currier1

NEW!! Linear ratio stabilizer system for flat cornering (virtually no ski-lift) and exceptional big bump response. Changes include larger 11mm diameter bar and longer linkage arm.

So, this is what Yamaha's website claims will fix ski-lift on the 2004 RX-1. The changes seem to reflect what everyone had to do last year to their '03s. I did the bigger sway bar and it really made a difference. I did not do the longer linkage arm. If I do this, will it make any noticeable difference??

I also read somewhere (of course now I can't find it) that the '04 A-arms were different from the '03s and would somehow help with ski-lift. Has anyone heard of this? If so, are the '04 A-Arms interchangable with the '03s?

The front arms are not different in their shape, just that the top one is made of aluminum instead of steel. This won't affect ski lift in the slightest.

The other thing that Yamaha did to the '04s to help ski lift, is they changed to a linear rate front spring. They are softer springs than aftermarket linear springs. 1.9 on the RX1, and 2.1 on the Warrior. Recommended aftermarket front springs are available in 2.3 (for extended links and thicker swaybar), and 2.5 (for stock '03 bar and links). These are set to zero preload, and will stiffen faster than stock, so they should give a slightly more brutal ride, but better cornering.

LB, you're a smart guy on this stuff, but I've got to wonder about the upper arms comment. If the upper arms weigh less, it would stand to reason that this would have a change in the dynamics of the front suspension, other than dropping a few pounds in dry weight. With less sprung weight, in that specific area, wouldn't it help a little?

I would think that less mass pushing against the CoG would help keep the skis planted....what do you think?

The other "fix" for the 03 short track sleds was to back off the front spring pre-load by 3mm and to switch the lower control rod bushing from the 10mm stock one to a 5mm one...

my friend I have 03 rx-1's and my girlfriend got an 04 rx-1 er and upon looking over the 2 sleds side by side the upper A-arms are different on the 04 compared to the 03. first, they are thicker diameter; second, they are trussed different and in more places than the 03.

A Yamaha rep told me that besides the stuff above, you should also use a longer stablizer bar. Yamaha now has the straight rate springs available for the '03 RX-1. I did the longer links and 11mm sway bar in March, rode 500 miles, and didn't notice enough improvement. It was still a little tippy in the corners. You have to do the straight rate springs.

The only other thing on the ski-lift was to the replace the stock skis. I believe it was Dano that did the Simmons skis and had good results.

I'm not sure what skis have to do with ski lift, other than the amount of bite they provide. The better the bite, the more ski lift you'll get when your sled is prone to.

I wonder what a Cat guy would think of the ski lift on the RX1? Maybe, "Wow, there's hardly any at all!"hehe.

Man, there's great info on here!

Let you know when I get mine on the snow. Loved the way my Cats rode, never bothered me at all. Too many people today just want to sit in the centre of the seat, part of the fun is using body english.

Jim

My 2001 ZR8 handled VERY BAD. Much worse than my RX1. My RX1 handles ALMOST as well as my well clutched 1997 ZRT800 and feels about as fast as well (My ZRT8 radared at 116Mph). The ONLY thing I do not like is the stiffness in the rear skid...other than that I have managed to tune about 90% of the ski-lift out of the machine completely! I am getting a set of links and hopefully they (combined with the 12mm bar) will eliminate the lift altogether.

VmaxJohn,
Just curious, wouldn't that deep keel of the stock ski on the RX-1 contribute to ski lift?

Ok here's my 2 cents

Ok here's my 2 cents..I was told by some people that changed the links on they're RX-1 shorties that it did'nt manke a difference in ski lift..A waste of money I was told..But I put a different set of front springs on my 03 RX-1 from Maxx.Perf. and they made a big difference..No where near the body roll with the new front shock springs..I'd put my money on a different rate spring for the front of the RX-1 ..Tested and proven..By Me!..hahahahaha like that means something huh guys?...lmao

RXOne is correct. I put the 11mm sway bar and the longer links on my 03 RX-1 in March. I then rode 500 miles in Voyagers and did not notice a big improvement. Just to make sure I wasn't being too picky, I took my Viper for a spin on the same trails and not once did the Viper's skis lift. I am doing the straight rate springs for this season and installing a set of Simmon's skis.

VMJ, I think the deep keel on the RX-1 stock ski contributes to the ski lift in the corners. What I noticed last season was whenever the keel hit a bump in the corners, the ski popped up in the air. So swapping skis should also improve the ski lift issue. I will know for sure as soon as the work is done and I can test. There was at least one person on this board that said replacing the stock skis helped with their ski lift problem last season.

What do you gain from going to a less agressive ski? Doesn't make sense to me. You'd wind up having more push in corners, you may still have ski lift and once you've only got one ski doing the work, you'd be wishing for a more agressive ski!

I have noticed that the limiter straps are set slack on the RX1 from the dealer. I'd like to hear who adjusted these for ski lift and how it worked on this sled.

Granted, my 500 is built on a different chassis, but does share the skid design. I run my straps loose (before I studded the adjusters were flush with the lock nut, now about 1/4" of threads showing) and I do encounter some ski lift going through rough corners at high rates of speed. But, because of my ski set up with C&A's and SkiSavers, that one ski has no problem getting me turned exactly when I want. If you tighten the limiters, this tendancy is reduced, at least on the Vmax chassis.

I wish I had a buddy with an '03 that I could play with!

A straight answer to the above question, yes, a more agressive ski holds the line, resulting in a tendancy to lift the inside ski when the set up of the skid allows it to.

HOnestly, I highly doubt any A-arm front end will carve as hard as my sled does currently, just too much body roll. In straight ahead bumps, the A-arms are in their element though, and should provide a better ride than a trailing arm sled. It's a give in take, like always :)

On a side note, Cat started coupling their ZR skids in '02. My buddies 600 is night and day better around the corners than an '01. Not sure of any other set up changes, but that sled sits as it did from the dealer.

When I ride that sled, I am totally uncomfotable with the body roll, I keep thinking I'm going to tip over! It because I'm comparing it to my sled, which remains flat through corners and holds the line. I think the great Vmax chassis has spoiled all of us through the years, hehe.

VMJ, I have followed your comments on this board and you obviously know your stuff. So do you think the Simmons Flexi-ski is less agressive than the stock RX-1 ski? I know the C&A is suppose to carve better, but everything I have read about the Simmons is always good. I believe it was Dano that used the Simmons last season and said they helped keep the skis on the ground. I talked with some other RX-1 owners that also said good things about the Simmons ski related to ski lift.

I am not sure about the setting of the limiter strap. It was not changed by me so it is probably still at the factory setting unless my dealer changed it in the initial setup.

Honestly, I just want to get this fixed. I had one close call where I almost rolled the RX-1 last season. I don't want a repeat this season.

I can see the Simmons ski helping ski lift due to their increasing the center to center track width. THey are wider to begin with, but then put that outside carbide to work for you, and you've got a slightly wider track width to work with.

Thing is, the outside carbide comes off the ground in tight situations, so you'd have to get a little inside lift to make it be effective. I'm sure this is the reason though.

Of the Simmon's equipped sleds I've ridden, they did not seem to have the razor sharp handling I'm used to. They had very predictable but slight push in corners compared to my current set up.

I think with the RX1, since it's quite heavy, the wider the ski you can run the better. I've got no problems with my 7" wide C&A's floating in powder with my 500, it's too bad they don't make that width any more! Heck, an 8" would be perfect for the 4 stroker!

Back