• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

types of fuel

bluevector

Extreme
has anyone tryed putting a high octane combo. in there sled yet. i put about 1 1/2 gallons per tank of vp 112 octane. wow what a big differince it made. :nos :ORC

Unless you have increased the compression in your sled, higher octane will not change your performance. That being said, in computerized fuel injected systems with variable timing and detonation sensing, you can notice a difference in performance between octanes. In a carbureted, low compression engine like the RX-1, it's all in your mind!

Octane

I agree with indyapex1, in fact using a higher octane in carb sleds can potentially damage your sled due to higher burning temps. Wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have good reason. Also make sure you don't burn too lean or you will end up with a hole in one of your pistons in no time. :4STroke:

Unless you are experiencing detonation or preignition due to very poor quality fuel, high octane can actually hurt performance due to it's slower burning, higher flash point characteristics. Lower octane equals faster burn.

wouldn't run higher octane unless your spraying it or boosting in some way. as far as hurting anything but performance - wont happen. i've been running 93 in my rx for the last 800 or so miles only because of me spraying on occasion and have found no performance increase on motor, and no detonation on the hose. my .02

twomorestrokes said:
Unless you are experiencing detonation or preignition due to very poor quality fuel, high octane can actually hurt performance due to it's slower burning, higher flash point characteristics. Lower octane equals faster burn.

Absolutely 100% correct explanantion from twomorestrokes!

;)!

87octane will be the quickest.The least amount of ocatne you can get away with without detoonatind will be the quickest.I've spent alot of time on timers testing fuels on on stock and modded motors and the lowest octane always show's the quikest et's.

does octane requirements change as you increase elevation? We ride between 6,000 ft and 10,000 ft and have been told to use 91 octane. Is this true?

bluevector said:
has anyone tryed putting a high octane combo. in there sled yet. i put about 1 1/2 gallons per tank of vp 112 octane. wow what a big differince it made. :nos :ORC

Higher octane fuel does nothing for HP. :o| :ORC

Octane rating is only a measure of a fuels ability to avoid pre-ignition and detonation. Typically modded engines have a higher compression ratio and require higher octane fuel, but it's the higher compression that adds HP not the higher octane.

Your just stuffing extra cash in your tank for nuttin' . :drink:

bigrock no run 87 octane.You can actually get away with less ocyane the higher the elevation.

Back