• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer stage 3 question

punchtech

Veteran
I just installed an ulmer stage 3 on my 06 vector and love it. My question is I can hit 9100 rpms when getting on it at 80 mph .
Is this normal or should I only be able to hit 8600 max no matter what speed I am running. Thanks!

My Ulmer clutch kit was also hitting 9100 rpm on my 2008 Vector.

But after discussing this with Alan I now have it dialed in perfectly!

I added 2 washers to the tip of each weight (I added one on each side instead of stacking them both on one side) and I added 1 additional washer to the heel for a total of 3 on the opposite side of the big tungsten washer.

It now pulls right at 8600 rpm where it should be.

I guess I should have first asked you if it settles back down to 8600 rpm after hitting 9100 or does it just stay at 9100 when you are at full throttle? If it settles back down to 8600 then you have a different problem. Oh yeah, and does it only do that at 80 mph when you hit the gas or will it do that at any speed?

Mine would always rev to 9100 whenever I mashed the throttle and it never came back down so adding tip weight helped to bring my rpm levels back down.

It will only hit 9100 if I am going 80+, its right at 8600 when you hit it at lower speeds, just wants to hold at 9000 ish after 80.

Yeah, I guess you should call Ulmer or PM him. To me it sounds like your clutch is sticking or your belt is slipping. Strange it only does that at 80.

Yeah, It is strange, I never really payed attention to the max rpms
before the kit so I'm not sure where it should be at high speeds.

It doesn't matter what speed you're going, if you mash the throttle it should rev rather quickly up to 8600 rpm or close to that number and just stay there.

Once you have your clutching dialed in for the hard pack
will it hold those rpms in soft snow or backshift back to your ideal rpm when going off trail?
With my stock clutching it will pull 8600 rpm on trail
but drop to 7800-8200 off trail.

Beech said:
Once you have your clutching dialed in for the hard pack
will it hold those rpms in soft snow or backshift back to your ideal rpm when going off trail?
With my stock clutching it will pull 8600 rpm on trail
but drop to 7800-8200 off trail.

You'll lose a few hundred rpm in soft snow conditions compared to hard-packed trails. 7800 seems a bit low though. Should be 8200-8600 for best performance.

Back