• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmers Clutch kit...hard to install myself?

TrailxRider

Expert
This is my first sled and I'm possibly looking into the Ulmer clutch kit. I've never installed anything like this. Is it straight forward with step by step instructions or is this something I need someone to install for me?

Not hard to do at all, if you have basic mechanical ability I am sure the instructions will be self-explanitory and if not, Ulmer has top-notch tech/customer service.

You will need primary clutch removal tools (a clutch holder and a clutch puller).

--Steve (O.C.)

I believe there is step by step instructions with pictures on Ulmers website on how to do this.

An easy and very beneficial mod.

You don't need a puller or clutch holder. Just some basic hand tools. Very easy install. Just don't drop a bolt behind the engine as I did. 20 minute job turned into 2 hours trying to get the bolt back.....doh!!!

Phazernut said:
You don't need a puller or clutch holder. Just some basic hand tools. Very easy install. Just don't drop a bolt behind the engine as I did. 20 minute job turned into 2 hours trying to get the bolt back.....doh!!!
shop vac and a piece of hose works to get those out.

Len Todd said:
I have a magnet on the telescoping rod. It gert right down in there, even where you can not see.

Thats what I used when I finally found where it went. Its amazing where one of those little bolts will bounce.

Thanks for all the replies :Rockon: I ordered the Ulmer Stage 2 clutch kit. I haven't heard back from ulmer yet but I amagine they are very busy with it getting closer to snowfall. Sooner or later I
ll get it installed :yam:

TrailxRider said:
Thanks for all the replies :Rockon: I ordered the Ulmer Stage 2 clutch kit. I haven't heard back from ulmer yet but I amagine they are very busy with it getting closer to snowfall. Sooner or later I

have you had a chance to try this and give an honest unbiased review of Ulmers kit? i'm thinking about this kit too. would love to hear your feedback.
thanks

peterdb said:
TrailxRider said:

have you had a chance to try this and give an honest unbiased review of Ulmers kit? i'm thinking about this kit too. would love to hear your feedback.
thanks

I have it installed and took it around the yard a few times but not enough for a review just yet. Need more snow where I live still. I did notice a different with the sled running on a stand, so I'm anxious to try it out. Sled seamed to shift much quicker than before.

I'm currently having issues with my pilot jets. They keep plugging after a while. I should have ran the sled more during the summer and really regret it now. I know some people say its bad but I did it 2 seasons before and no issues at all and the only time I don't do it I have issues with the carbs and I use seafoam also.

Anxious to ride!

Keep those carbs wet and use plenty of Sta-bil. This last year was the only time in 30 years that I did not do that and this year I had to clean the carbs three times, so far.

Back