• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Under gear

spike337

TY 4 Stroke Master
I have never worn anything but a sweat shirt & jacket, sweat socks & boots, and jeans & bibs. Never had cold feet with my 20 yr old (litterally) LaCrosse IceMans, but i bruised heals jumping because they were so worn, it was like wearing moccasins, lol. So i replaced them with some wonderful brand new CastleX boots, and now my feet get cold! They feel like you're wearing one of those wooden shoes from a foriegn country! Next, with the Phazer, (and my wonderful Castle bibs) my knees get cold, then my jacket, (bought a 'work jacket' Castle, ONLY because it was half price-$80, and it sucks too) but anyway i broke down and bought the black Yammi one with the fleece liner, and it is a very nice jacket, but i'm still a wimp in the cold so i was going to buy the Klim Aggressor top base layer, the Klim Mamoth socks, and try the Klim Aggressor base long underware.
My questions are, 1-Do any of you guys wear insulated underware bottoms, what kind, and do they work good?
2-Klim is so high priced, but yet their base layer tops are half price of the UnderArmour Metal cold(or whatever it's called?) So has anyone tried the Klim Aggressor base top? How is it? How about the UnderArmour? I'm sure that is good stuff! The socks, i figure have to be better then the street socks i wear by themselfs, but do you guys wear them over your street socks? That would be defeating the purpose though, right?
Thanks for reading this novel and i appreciate any input. I'm 46 and don't like the cold much anymore, plus i have a Thyroid issue which biggest effect is-"Inability to keep warm, chilled", sweet ha? Oh ya, i did already buy some Klim Toggotee gloves.
Mike.

Attachments

• l_5483d23fb4b14f1c969d97a845c0a611.jpg
    l_5483d23fb4b14f1c969d97a845c0a611.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 72

I wear Helly Hanson polypropelyne sock "liners" with any other sock on top.

For baselayers and/or mid-layers I have always found the Helly stuff phenomenal. Snowmobiling, snowboarding, work, whatever.

I can't tell from your pic, do you have the knee wind deflectors?

They WORK.

Don't wear alot of cotton as a base layer. Socks, go with synthetic blend or wool (I have $17 wool Wigwam one's and love 'em, just wear those with no other pair underneath + Coldwave boots) . Cotton's not breathable and makes your feet sweat- they'll get cold from the air quicker and then your done.

I have all Coldwave gear, usually ride with just jeans/T shirt but when it's really cold I'll put the compression clothing under it (Reebok brand).

Most good gear isn't cheap but when you're out there for the ride it's nice to be warm & enjoying it, instead of telling yourself it sucks as your shivering to death wishing it was over.
The right layers will make all the difference in the world, piling on sweatshirts, 3 pairs of socks & stuff really only makes you sweat more and that's when you get cold.....

I just were normal shin socks and underwere. Then I wear a polypro long sleave, then a shirt over it. Then normal jean. if its above 20 F I were a windjack. If lowere I were very old carhearts bibs andf jack. In a dittion to that I also hav e shin geard and tekvest becaues of snowmobile racing rules. For boots is miltary boots or snowboard boots.

I use all different types. This year I have a new set to my collection

Attachments

• Snapshot_20101212.jpg
    Snapshot_20101212.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 58
My base Layer Under Armour cold gear mock turtleneck and Under Armour cold gear legging both compression fit. Fairly expensive though. Wal-Mart had very similar made by Rocky I found last year, half the price of Under Armour.
Klim bibs and coat
Smartwool socks are the best hands down for foot warmth!!!

I wear poly-pro underwear, fleece top, shin guards, tek vest, snowboarding pants and jacket. I can't believe some of you guys wear jeans. I like all the freedom of movement I can get.

Running a mid-height windy I find the only place I feel cold it around my waist if I'm sitting alot, I think the GT deflectors would help this though. My bibs have built in knee padding so my knees stay pretty warm if I stand alot. I've riden to -10*f and not had an issue, besides the handwarmers going cool for a few minutes before the warm back up. I just wear Jeans a long sleeve T under my Old Yamaha/FXR jacket and bibs that I got free when I bought my 01' SX-R new. Now that I've been stuck riding the Phazer II while waiting on a new engine for the MTX, I'd have to say the MTX is a warmer sled to ride than the Ol' PII. I'm almost considering going out and purchasing a SRX700 for a backup sled, I miss the wind protection and the awesome triple triple sound.

Unfortunately you own one of the coldest riding sleds built. Good gear will be what makes the difference. I wear RU Outside and this year Klim under layer, but anything similar should work as well. I wear everything, boxers, pants, shirt. Then the mid layer, should it be needed, Klim everest pant, they make an Everest mid coat too. Then the Outer which to me is most important, Which is the Klim Tog. bib. They make insulated ones as well I would go with a bib over a pant as it gives you a bit more protection in the front. They key is to get something water/wind proof that breathes. As for your feet, are they getting wet? The Phazer suffers a bit from Left Boot Syndrome as well. A good water proof boot makes a world of difference. As mentioned avoid cotton as it holds the moisture and with the exposure on the Phazer the wind will freeze you. If you are cold from the waist up, I would suggest a TekVest. sounds weird but you actually get a two for one. You'll have the protection in the event of some type of mishap, plus they add a huge amount of warmth to the upper body. Just make sure to bring your coat and try them on.

As for the sled, getting the wind deflectors and a bigger shield may held direct some of it away from you body as well.

Phazers are not that bad when you put a big windshield on them, imo. I do not have the wind deflectors, and thought about putting on some i still have from my 440 Rev, which would suprisingly fit. I sometimes wear a Safe Jak and knee/shin gaurds, but unfortunately i'm getting old and lazy and only wear certain equipment depending on how i intend to, or who i intend to ride with that day.
Since i covered my back tunnel hole, my wet boot syndrome seems to be gone? (I didn't ride a lot last year to tell for sure) but my boots still stink!
I like my Yamaha jacket still, so i can't justify, or afford a Klim jacket, yet, but it will happen. So, for now, as of last night, i ordered the Klim base Aggressor top and bottom, and the Klim Mammoth socks. I'm sure the under Armour is better, but like Craftsman tools, i think i have good stuff for the price, but a lot more of it, lol! Mike.

Ruckus said:
I wear poly-pro underwear, fleece top, shin guards, tek vest, snowboarding pants and jacket. I can't believe some of you guys wear jeans. I like all the freedom of movement I can get.

I like to take my gear off when I stop @ a place. This chunk 'o lovin' would look pretty silly with my wallet stuck in front of the package walking around with just the sled boots & compression skibbys on ;)!

It's like larger ladies wearing strech pants, just shouldn't be seen LOL :jump:

Yeah, I always leave my bibs on. And would encourage anyone wearing only an under layer to do the same. Certainly not a sight I wish to see.

LJ 452 said:
Yeah, I always leave my bibs on. And would encourage anyone wearing only an under layer to do the same. Certainly not a sight I wish to see.

HaHa, Exactly!! ;)!

Just say NO :moon:

Back