• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

UPDATE!!! UPDATE!!! Western New York Ride.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
I guess from the consensus we will move the ride to Tug Hill and stay at the 5 star hotel that steve suggests called the Freeman. The Freeman telephone # 315-942-5682. Maybe steve will post what you need to bring to this hotel. The ride will take place from Wed Jan.18th-Sat.Jan 21st. Of course you can always stay and ride Sunday if you want to. There is ridable snow, most trails have been groomed, but it will be hard to ride off the hill because of lack of snow. That being said we will probably be riding the same trails a lot of the time. If anyone is reading this post for the first time and thinking of coming, all are welcome, but we usually ride at a moderate to fast pace, but we also try to be safe. To give time for everyone to get there, we will start our ride at 10 AM on Wed morning, hopefully we will be riding by 10:30, and probably about 9:30 the other days. Come for all 4 days if you can but if you can only come for 1 day, that would be great also. The Freeman is located just off the Osceola Rd., on the Gallo Rd., about half way between West Lyden, and Osceola. If coming from West Lyden, heading West it is a right hand turn on to Gallo Rd. and as soon you turn the hotel will be on your left. Of course if you are coming from Osceola and heading East you would make a left hand turn on to Gallo rd. The Freeman does not look like a motel or hotel, but looks like a big old farmhouse. Here is the Weather forecast for the next few days. Snow tonight (Mon. night) changing to sleet and freezing rain by morning, then some rain tomorrow changing back to snow in the evening. Should get about 2" of snow before it changes to rain, which should absorb the rain so we don't lose too much base. Lake effect snow on Wed. , however I think most will be down around the Syracuse area. The high on Wed will be in the 20's dropping into the teens. Light snow on Thursday, in the mid 20"s. A few snow squalls on Friday with highs in the teens. A few snow showers on Saturday with highs in the upper 20's to around 30. Any other questions ask here or give me a call at 315-827-4802. See you soon.

Gordon

Hey Gordon quick question, off topic, where do you get your forecast from? It seems like you always know when the lake effect is coming. I haven't seen that in any forecasts.

As BBW posted above the ride will be Weds 1/18-Sun 1/22 riding out of the Freeman Hotel in Swancott Mills, NY every morning.

The Freeman is located on Gallo Road in Swancott Mills (not on Swancott Mills Road). But when you try GPS'ing or E-mapping it, you sometimes have to use West Leyden, NY or Osceola, NY as the town..since often Swancott Mills is not found. It is right off Osceola Road, about half way between West Leyden and Osceola. By trail, it is located right off trail C4B ("Camp 4") between 46 Corners and Michigan Mills Rd for those familiar with the Tug Hill trail system.

Here is some info on the Freeman. It is not quite a Hotel or a Motel, like one would think. more of an Inn or "Bed and Breakfast" style. I equate it most to like staying at a friends camp. I,personally, like the set up, as opposed to staying at the Montague or whatever and having to go back and sit in a motel room for the rest of the night watching tv in your bed. You can hang out downstairs talk about the days ride, talk about tommorow's ride, etc... I usually also bring a bunch of snacks or munchies, some soda, beer for hanging out and drinking/eating after riding. They have a large industrial fridge is you had to store anything

At the Freeman, bedrooms are upstairs, community area downstairs. They have big screen tv w/ satellite cable, a bar (but it is BYOB and/or beer if you want to drink), some games (washers, shuffle board table). couches, wood stove (last one to bed fills the stove and stokes the fire!), full kitchen (if you want to cook). You must bring your own bedding (pillows, blankets, sheets) and linens (towels). They provide a cooked-to order hot breakfast every morning you are staying there, usually starting at 7am.

Shaun (the caretaker/inn-keeper) will be there today until the afternoon if you wanted to call and reserve your space. The # for the Freeman is (315)942-5682. He will not be back there until Tuesday evening to get the place ready for us. If you cannot get in touch with him at the Freeman, you can reach him on his cell (315)507-1692.

Price is $40/night/per person and it is CASH ONLY. They do not have a credit card machine.

I told him there are going to be roughly 5-10 of us staying there Weds-Sunday

yox185, For the most part, I study weather maps and make up my own forecast if I have the time. I have a BS degree in Meteorology, and since I have always lived in this area I am pretty good with the Lake Effect forecasts. Most of the time the local weather forecasters on TV aren;t too far off, but they do have some stupid forecasts once in a while.

Steve, I fixed the part about Gallo Rd. in my first post.

Billy Osmun and Richie Evans purchased the Freeman House as an "investment"back in the early 1980's Used more as a party/snowmobile spot for Richie and his friends during the off season. Friday night 1/20 Evans is being inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Great location to have a ride and to be there the same time Evans is being inducted makes it even better.

Good luck on the ride.

Viperman and I are booked and are ready to finally ride this season. Look forward to meeting up with old friends and gaining some new ones.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the hill gets snow instead of rain Tuesday. Shaun said it was only 8 degrees today. I'm two hours south and it's 32!

They will get some rain during the day Tuesday, but I am hoping it will be less then 1/2". The storm is still developing. Real though call on this storm. I am up to 19 degrees as of 3:30 PM. Think I will take a short snowmobile ride now and see if anyone is riding trails by my house yet.

RX-1MAN said:
Viperman and I are booked and are ready to finally ride this season. Look forward to meeting up with old friends and gaining some new ones.

Me too. See you guys soon. ;)!

RX-1MAN said:

Ditto! See you all soon......happy trails!

:rules

Looks like some favorable weather for our ride. Now BBW, dont go raining on my parade and contradicting what the good people at the National Weather Service have to say.

... LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON... ... WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* LOCATIONS... OSWEGO COUNTY.

* TIMING... OVERNIGHT TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS... UP TO A FOOT OF SNOW.

* VISIBILITIES... A QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS... MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL RESULT IN SNOW COVERED ROADS AND DIFFICULT TRAVEL AT TIMES.

* FORECASTER CONFIDENCE... MODERATE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A LAKE EFFECT SNOW WATCH MEANS THAT SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER IS POSSIBLE IN LOCALIZED AREAS WITHIN THE NEXT 36 HOURS

Same watch posted for Lewis county but what do weathermen know :-o

Worst case is it's snowing so hard we can't ride :o|

Everyone please have a safe drive there if this snow develops.

Steve it is true they cancelled the winter weather advisory, because for the rest of the day until about midnight it will be just plain rain. There is rain on the radar at this time (8:30 AM) from Syracuse all the way back to Chicago. All this has to move through before we change back to snow. Like I said before, hopefully we can keep it under 1/2" of rain. The Lake Effect Snow watch kicks in about midnight, for Lewis and Oswego county. Up to 1 foot of accumulation. The bands should move south during the morning sometime. Also a high wind warning from midnight until tomorrow at noon with winds exceeding 50 MPH. I don't know how much snow Tug Hill got last night, but I picked up 2.1" of snow with a little freezing rain on top. There is no change to My forecast I posted in an earlier post. See everyone in the morning.

This may be your last snowmobiling opportunity for a while. As Billy Fuccillo would say. theres going to be a HUGH warmup next week starting Sunday. Winter may be over before it begins.

Back