• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Use the choke after letting sled sit a while after riding?

kimoajaj

Expert
Ok this is maybe a stupid question but I wonder how long you guys will wait (when letting the sled sit, after riding) before you use the choke when starting it again? . on hour?

Let`s say it`s about 10- C outside :)

I know it`s unlikely but I wouldn`t want to foul the plugs due to unessesary choke use :)

If it needs it use it. Not to be smart but if it starts after sitting for an hour then you didn't need it. Iv'e gone in had a meal and come back out and it fired right up. Id try it first then choke. Remember that with the carb heaters on the motor likes a little throttle to start when warm. Not usually a problem after an hour but up to 30 minutes or so it can be or on warm days.

Get in the habit of using your park brake so you don't smash into the guy in front of you if you need throttle to start.

Once sled is warm it rarely needs choke to start again that day. It would have to be real cold or sit for quite awhile.

I haven't seen a fouled plug yet. It's just not the same as an oil injected machine. I run the mountains a lot and get rich real quick when I go up to 8000 feet when I'm jetted for 2500 feet.

The sled runs good anyway. What you describe is just not critical on this engine.

give it some throttle

I had the same question a few weeks ago. The dealer told me it would not hurt it to just give it some throttle as I turn the key. Now for cold starts I choke it, but after I've ran it and it sits, I just give it some gas and it usually fires right up. :yam:

I never touch the choke either, you can foul the plugs fast that way.

Prairie dog- looks like your avatar is starting to wear out a little, Im thinking the guys like it a little 'too much'.

Through my experience, I have found that I only use the enrichener after the sled has sat for more than 3 hours outside. Like the others have said crack the throttle a bit and it will come to life. Conversly I found that when it is above 0 deg Celcius, I need to give it considerable throttle to get it to fire after riding and stopping.

Conversly I found that when it is above 0 deg Celcius, I need to give it considerable throttle to get it to fire.

Shut off the carb heat above zero. Works for me. Flip the flap over too when it's warm.

Hey Dog
Have you noticed any increase in fuel mileage when the temps are warm and the carb heaters are off. I have, the last two rides I have been watching it against my 700SX and there is a difference.

Back