• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Valentines day kiss - tree

dboe03 said:
I'm probably in the minority here, but mine has been bent for two seasons. Know what I've noticed?....Not a thing. Mine may not be as extreme as others, as in in shock actually rubbing the A arm, but I think a lot of people freaked out about this when it more than likely can be fixed with a little elbow grease and a pry bar. I would say just give it the rest of the season and fix it over the weekend in a summer.

same with me....two of my buddies both have doo's (1200 and 600 etec) both with bent sub frames- so it's just not a yamaha thing...

nitris223 said:
I think it has more to do with the angle of the hit and not the speed.
My buddy has a 2008 nytro MTX and it has been in the rhubarb patch more then once. Never babied, just rode hard. To this day when ever I see the sled I go and check his sub frame and still just like the day he bought it . Straight. Of anyone in our group I would have thought his would have been the first to bend.

Last weekend another friend of mine on a 2010 xtx tried some new logging technics ( tight corner with 3" thick willow trees) with his nytro and turned the spindle into a banana but the sub frame is still straight .

Yup

The geometry of the subframe accepts regular suspension stress and some directional impacts but isolated inputs from pretty much any direction outside of this overwhlem it.
Some of this is actually engineered in....better sacrificing the removeable/serviceable sub frame that the bulkhead or other non replaceable or expensive parts.

The Bombi's get wrote off routinely from front end hits that are barely a wound or an easily repaired fix on other sleds.

The flex point between give and bend is arguably the problem.... Yamaha has chosen anything more than a overstress to transfer the force into the subframe....I'm surprised that at least the RTX doesn't get a more reinforced subframe treatment...kinda like how they reinforce the skidframe more than the FX.

I'm curious if those that are gusseting the subframe are seeing any problems in the rest of the chassis when they have a good front end hit?? I assume that the subframe gusset properly designed raises the threshold of a subframe tweak but still allows it to fold when it is time to save the rest of the sled??

I am considering the subframe gusset as well as welding shut the sides of the spindles too as they look pretty fragile to me?? No down side to the spindle reinforcement IMO .....just don't want to end up with a subframe built like a tank that renders a fixable impact to a writeoff if it is too strong??

Back