• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

It looks bent to me

LOL welcome to the bent subframe club! Part of yamaha ownership... Just keep bang'n and add it to the job jar for the months without snow... :sled1:

ken0la said:
LOL welcome to the bent subframe club! Part of yamaha ownership... Just keep bang'n and add it to the job jar for the months without snow... :sled1:

Just poor design, a least the apex could hold up to a few good hits. :o|

ken0la said:

....unless you have grizztracks braces! I hit a massive tree with mine and never moved the subframe. The A-arms needed replaced but the subframe is straight. ;)!

I likely just jinxed myself :o|

Sno-Xr said:
Im with beenba.....Ive pounded the crap out of my xtx and know the subfame has been tweaked back and forth. I dont plan on replacing mine.

Yep my 2012 XTX is sort of the same as well. I hit a rock last winter which made one side closer to the shock on the top A arm, but it seems to move back and forth. Sometimes it is off more then other times and sometimes you notice the opposite side is a bit off then after a rough trail it goes the other way. It's crazy!!! The skis are still about the same distance in front and the spindles have pretty much the same angle so I just ride it. It still handles well. I'm not going to mess with it unless it ever takes a big hit again and comes in contact with the spring.

grizztracks said:
But that's not fixing the subframe , all it's doing is bending the upper a-arm back so the shock is centered .
I wouldn't do that with your z-bros. Front end , that's just me !

It won't bend the a-arms unless you get carried away. I've done several of these and what it will do is bend the rear a-arm tower back into place. You'll be surprised how easy it is to bend the frame back. After realignment it will eventually move back unless you reinforce the frame. I just did another one last weekend.

09nytro said:
grizztracks said:
But that's not fixing the subframe , all it's doing is bending the upper a-arm back so the shock is centered .
I wouldn't do that with your z-bros. Front end , that's just me !
You question the all mighty Grizz? The Viper side has impaired your judgement I see :drink: lol

I just don't see that working , it didn't on my subframe when I bent mine , so yes I'm questioning grizzly on this . It also depends on how bad it bent too !

I have a nytro in the shop right now with a bent subframe , the bottom tube is push in and the lower arm mount is bent also , the plate just in front if oil pan has a buckle in it to , so that little trick wont work on this one !

Another thing is I have had 3 nytros. I have bent subframes on two of my three. After adding a roest full skid plate to a fixed subframe and on a new machine out of the box I have never bent a frame again. The skid actually stiffens the frame and prevents the easy tweaks.

I was only joking lol. It definitely depends on the severity of the damage. For the record, I had a right side spindle that was almost vertical from crossing train tracks, and was able to get it back to within reasonable spec to finish out another 1200 miles and get me through the season. The main damage was to the rear lower box and the bottom circle plate. This was purely a temp fix until I could pull my subframe and properly straiten and weld in Grizz gussets. Also there was zero damage to my control arms before and after the pry bar

09nytro said:
I just don't see that working , it didn't on my subframe when I bent mine , so yes I'm questioning grizzly on this . It also depends on how bad it bent too !

There definitely are exceptions to the rules, but its worth a shot before you run and throw a bunch of $$ at something that will ultimately bend again. I have about 8000 on my 09, and have watched the spring gap go back and forth like many others have experienced. And when I get the time and ambition to strip the front end down, I will be adding gussets. But until then, I'll ride it and enjoy the cash I still have in my wallet. ;)!

Back