• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

vector engine issues

BETHEVIPER said:
all you guys motors suck and are going to blow up, you should buy my low milage motor so you will have a spare. not going to use it anymore. you guys scared me and im going with a apex now.

Well :tg: to you! Good riddens we didn't want you here anyway. :jump:

Seems like there is an issue with this 120Hp engine. I know a couple of failures here in Sweden.

Is there a known fix for this problem ?

this is a comedy in a way because you can find one in this state, here of two in this country, couple here over west, couple in canada, etc .....

I cant count on one hand the number of motors a frined of mine has had to redo in his last 5 skidoo sleds alone.

I think its more. I sold my Monoshock to one that got this engine failure. Yamaha changed the engine and said: Dont talk to anyone about this.

This one was out of warrenty and they wanted the engine to see what happend to it...

The ammount of sleds here is a bit diffrent then i US. I.E they sold 40 of Yamaha RX1 05 model :)

But yes ski-doo is worse.. but then its alot cheaper to replace that engine...

Hi I got one of these failures too; it ruined three weeks of perfect spring snow. But Yamaha really took care of it, my sled was out of factory warranty but they just said "it should not happen".
The explanation I got was that the chain adjuster broke from fatigue due to engine vibration, not common but it has happen before.
And yes the engine do run smother now and less noise too.

Busken said:
Hi I got one of these failures too; it ruined three weeks of perfect spring snow. But Yamaha really took care of it, my sled was out of factory warranty but they just said "it should not happen".
The explanation I got was that the chain adjuster broke from fatigue due to engine vibration, not common but it has happen before.

that is exactually what is the cause of the engien fairlure is the cam chain adjuster breaks and then its good buy engine or least very expensive to fix if it can be.

06apexrtx said:
Busken said:

that is exactually what is the cause of the engien fairlure is the cam chain adjuster breaks and then its good buy engine or least very expensive to fix if it can be.

is there any preventative maintenance that can be done to prevent this failure?

One of the big reasons I bought my RS was its excellent history of trouble free miles. If you read the sno-mags nearly all the long distance records were done on an RS based sled. If the engines absolutely shell because of chain tensioners or whatever these are isolated incidents. Also it is seldom stated what was being done to the sled right before it died. There are people out there that abuse machinery without even realizing it. At this time there is not another sled by any manufacturer I would choose over the Vector for gas and go reliability. Exhaust donuts and drivetrain bearings are maintence items and all sleds need to be maintained. Bad fuel will destroy a two stroke while it will just make the four stroke run crappy. I have been riding for 40 years and have had many sleds of all colors. The choice is clear for me. That being said if my RS explodes tommorrow I am at the point where nothing really surprises me. However I believe I have excellent odds that this will not happen.

This isnt about 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. We just want to know if there is an issue with the 120Hp 4 stroke.
And if so, why isnt there a fix / recall for it ?

"The explanation I got was that the chain adjuster broke from fatigue due to engine vibration, not common but it has happen before"

How Common is the question. I now know 4 sleds here in sweden with engine failure. 3 RS Vector and one RS Venture. And Sweden is a small market. Some resellers in US are bigger then Yamaha in sweden :)

Im just curious if there is an issue or not and if there is a fix for it.

Back