• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector2008 minor issues and questions from new owner

Korpimies

Country
Other
Snowmobile
YAMAHA RS VENTURE TF EFI 2009
Greetings from Finland. I purchased my first 4 stroke sled after last riding 480VentureTF in high school.
Naturally Yamaha was the only choice for sled and Vector should be the most reliable sled for a not mechanic sunday driver.

My "new" Vector has 6000km/3700miles in it and its in decent condition but with no service history. I assume that there has been only 2-3 engine oil changes and thats about it for service.

Now the questions:
1) in what km/miles should the oil in chainbox changed?
2) i am wondering that should i try to ride for this winter and get some feel to it or should I take it to local Yamaha Service and pay for oil change, chainbox oil change and coolant liquid change and spark plugs?
The sled starts fine and engine oils are changed 1500 miles ago accordign to previous owner.
3) High or Low beam switch misses the button and now sled has only low beam. Is this a easy fix :eek:rder new button/switch and just push it in place?
4) On the right handlebar the red kill switch is also dead, it doesnt do anything. Luckily the sled starts and can be used with the key. Is this an easy fix with new switch? Is it wise to just ignore it and use the sled with the key?

You have a great forum and this forum was one of the reasons I talked my self to get sled again after 20 years without snowfun.

Korpimies from Finland

welcome!

1) i change the oil in the chaincase every year as i always have moisture in it. i typically run between 2500-4000km a year.

2) you can do all of those items yourself and save some $. with that milage, it should not need plugs yet as long it is run long enough for heat to be in the exchangers every time you start the sled, especially in the off season. messed up a set of plugs on my rx war that way. you do not have to do the filter this time but doing the oil change would not hurt. supposed to be done annually regardless of milage. coolant is not that hard to do. just make sure you have the right one for aluminum engine if not going with yamacool and put skis up about 12" to burp all the air out. might take a few times to burp all the air out.

3) might be able to take it apart and clean it but i did have one fail on my rx under warentee. i would contact travis at barn of parts (hibbsman on ty) as he sponsors the site for the assembly. don't know if it can be bought separate.

4) sounds like it is broken/bypassed as when it is moved, it cuts all power to the coils. i know, i broke one and learned the hard way when the ice thawed in it and shorted it out. you can get the assembly from travis as well if you cannot get it cleaned up and funcional.

ask if you have any more questions.

Thanks for quick answers.
I visit the local Yamaha service and ask how much it gonna take for the oil change (motor and chain box) and coolant change. If the estimate doesnt hurt too much, the first service could be done by professionals. I am interested to learn to do these myself but currently my garage is full of misplaced stuff and needs a couple of day arranging to even fit the sled in. Winter is coming and its getting harder and harder to do anything outdoors.

I leave the light switch and kill switch issue after these basic oil and liquid services.

i know where you are coming from. the only sled in my garage atm is a project one that is a back burner job. working on getting space to get a sled in for pre season as i need to do that to 4 more sleds minimum before trails open.

You picked a great sled ! I have two of them . A very simple thing to do and I feel it’s improved the running of the sled . In fact I have not had to clean the carbs since I’ve done it . Order the Fitch Fuel Catalyst for small engine and drop them in your fuel tank . Mine have been in there for 7 years and they always run great. Well worth the 40 dollars. Make sure you search for Catmans suspension setup on here. It’s a great place to start and will make the sled handle much better!!

Thanks DGZRT for info and suspension tips. Previous owner didnt have the pump for the front Fox shocks. Is there a similar airvent for rear ones? I havent spotted them yet after one quick wash for many years of dust on the sled.
The sled felt very soft. The front shocks problably have the minimum pressure for shocks without extra air pumped into them for atleast in 2 years. The rear was also quite mellow but perhaps I should wait for snow and couple of pumps on the trail before making anything to it?

I did lots of research online and great to have these kind of advices and personal experiences from you.

Back