• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vibrating exhaust sheilds@idle???

hotrodsrx

Veteran
My 03 Rx-1 has an bad rattle/vibration at idle. I read a post on here a while back and someone stated that it wasn't a heat shield but the clamps and gaskets for the exhaust.

I pulled the gas tank last night and it looks like the clamps on the manifolds are tight. There dosen't seem to be any soot indicating a leak either.

Can someone give me an idea where to look next?

check for loose exhaust shields above the track under the tunnel. remove them if they are loose. According to others they are not needed, and can fall off and jam at the front of the track box.

Also, make sure the rattle you hear isn't just the gear reduction, this noise will be just behind the primary clutch. If that is the noise, sync the carbs and adjust Idle a bit higher like 1550 rpm and it should get rid of the majority of that noise. Good Luck

sheilds

yep cut those out asap. there not strong even if the track catch,s one it just eat,s it theres three of them. on mine the track took out the rear one on the trail the othere two i just removed the two rear mounting bolt from the supension and reached up in there with my sawzall and cut the brackets and all off of the pipes.

Thanks for the help and wish me luck I'm dangerous with my sawzall!!!!!

I'll sync the carbs as well. I've got a ECP going this weekend.

Do the clamps were the flex pipe attackes to the y pipe move? They should not be able to turn around otherwise the donuts are burnt out. It's hard to tell unless you know what to look for. I almost thought mine were fine till further inspection.

rattle

I just had to change the donuts on mine up off the flex pipes,2600 miles and the 2 outside ones where shot. you'll notice the clamps will be turned to the side not staight across if there loose

Dropped the suspension tonight and found the heat shield on one of the y-pipes loose so I took them out.

All the clamps are nice and tight so I guess I'll put it back together.

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!

Back