• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper ECU identification codes

hibshman25

Vendor
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 sidewinder ltx dx
2018 snoscoot
Does anyone have any info on how to identify Viper ECU's? I appears cat prints the same generic 0630-295 part number on all ECU's. It is my understanding sleds with 8 tooth drivers such as XTX and MTX have different calibration for speedometer vs 9 tooth ltx and rtx models. I have an xtx sled in for repair and need another ECU for it. Have found used ones, but would prefer to verify it is indeed an xtx via coding rather than some random ebay sellers word. I also have a friend that has some but he was not aware of the difference so didn't label them.

Talked with Ulmer today and he was thinking all ECU logic is the same, and the difference was made up with different magnet count in the speed sensor plug. Went through parts fich for many models and all use same plug and 8 magnets, so I'm still leaning towards calibration being in the ECU.

Talked with Ulmer today and he was thinking all ECU logic is the same, and the difference was made up with different magnet count in the speed sensor plug. Went through parts fich for many models and all use same plug and 8 magnets, so I'm still leaning towards calibration being in the ECU.

I believe your correct on that. We had a Viper that we converted from a MTX. to XTX could not get correct speed after gearing changes and had to change ECU to get the speedo back on.

Travis, although it's not a Viper I also agree with Tom on this as when I swapped the Backcountry 1.75" and 7 tooth drivers on my 18 Apex XTX to be like a 2017 Apex XTX with a 1.25" track and 8 tooth drivers, my speedo now shows less than the actual gps speed; it's no longer a dream-o-meter showing faster speeds but a nightmare-o-meter showing slower speeds. I even checked with Kevin at Port Yamaha to see if the speedo sensor was different and he indicated the part was not different between the two models; that the calibration was most likely in the ECU.

In working up numbers for viper I compute that if you run a 9 tooth ECU with 8 tooth drivers the speedo will display about 11% higher than your actual speed.

I believe your correct on that. We had a Viper that we converted from a MTX. to XTX could not get correct speed after gearing changes and had to change ECU to get the speedo back on.

Don't MTX and XTX both use 8 tooth drivers?

Don't MTX and XTX both use 8 tooth drivers?

Not sure why it was such an issue, but I think its was maybe the pitch of the track. IM getting old and your really making me think. All I know is I had to change the ECU to get the thing corrected. I traded my ECU with one Allan had.

129 & 137 (RTX & LTX) 1.25" track lug height models use 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers.

141 (XTX) 1.6" track lug height models use 8 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers.

153 & 162 (MTX) & 141 MTX models use 7 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers.

All models appear to use the same rubber plug with 8 magnets installed, which means the ECU speedo pickup would have to be calibrated differently, but I do not know how to tell the ECUs apart.

I have a MTX ECU here and it has 0630-295 & 725-200-0A on it.

129 & 137 (RTX & LTX) 1.25" track lug height models use 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers.

141 (XTX) 1.6" track lug height models use 8 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers.

153 & 162 (MTX) & 141 MTX models use 7 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers.

All models appear to use the same rubber plug with 8 magnets installed, which means the ECU speedo pickup would have to be calibrated differently, but I do not know how to tell the ECUs apart.

I have a MTX ECU here and it has 0630-295 & 725-200-0A on it.

LTX and XTX Ecu's I have on my desk have the same exact numbers on it too.

If you read up on the Viper starting issue there is information in there about this. The flash in the ecu sets the speedometer for different models. Most likely any Yamaha dealer could read them when hooked to a sled.

If you read up on the Viper starting issue there is information in there about this. The flash in the ecu sets the speedometer for different models. Most likely any Yamaha dealer could read them when hooked to a sled.
Yes so the ECU's are the same Flash is what is different. Replacement ECU's new wont run a sled. They have to be flashed and its VIN specific. So by vin the correct flash is installed. So if buying a used ECU the only way to know the speedo calibration is to know the sled it came from.

Back