• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Ltx Se clutch help/opinions

I have run a purple epi spring, the white Yamaha spring and the pink Yamaha spring. Every time I go back to the pink Yamaha wrapped at 6-1. Always better acceleration and top end. I should take a picture of helix and springs I have tested with the 5000 miles I have on the viper. lol

Didn't mind the 8jp with turbo but doesn't hold up like the 8dn

I'm with ya there, that stock pink spring just feels right, and I loved the feel of the 8jp belt on mine, engagement was so smooth, not a bit of belt dust and no heat coming from clutches, speeds and rpm were spot on consistent in any condition..unfortunately that belt is now in about 200 pieces in a field somewhere lol. It's a decent belt for a stocker when setup right, but not looking like it's gonna handle the boost game. There was no sign at all that the belt was going to blow, I rode Saturday afternoon for a good solid hour off and on and trading off with my buddies, doing some launches right from a dig, rpm was perfect the whole day and sled was rockin! And then POW! I shut the sled off right away, rolled to a stop and pulled the side panel off right away cuz I wanted to see how the clutches felt, well I could grab right ahold of both of them and hang right on, there was no real heat to speak of at all, and that belt just blew to shreds! Unfortunate but I'm glad I know that even under ideal circumstances that stock belt isn't going to work for me. So if you have an 8dn belt kickin around, use it, if you don't have one, they can be bought for $55-$60 so it would be worth it to try one

I'm with ya there, that stock pink spring just feels right, and I loved the feel of the 8jp belt on mine, engagement was so smooth, not a bit of belt dust and no heat coming from clutches, speeds and rpm were spot on consistent in any condition..unfortunately that belt is now in about 200 pieces in a field somewhere lol. It's a decent belt for a stocker when setup right, but not looking like it's gonna handle the boost game. There was no sign at all that the belt was going to blow, I rode Saturday afternoon for a good solid hour off and on and trading off with my buddies, doing some launches right from a dig, rpm was perfect the whole day and sled was rockin! And then POW! I shut the sled off right away, rolled to a stop and pulled the side panel off right away cuz I wanted to see how the clutches felt, well I could grab right ahold of both of them and hang right on, there was no real heat to speak of at all, and that belt just blew to shreds! Unfortunate but I'm glad I know that even under ideal circumstances that stock belt isn't going to work for me. So if you have an 8dn belt kickin around, use it, if you don't have one, they can be bought for $55-$60 so it would be worth it to try one

I wasn't so lucky. The 8jp blew at 118 mph. Put a hole in the belly panel and blew the stickers off the side panel....scared the sh*% out of me. No troubles with the 8dn.

Pink spring just feels right and my numbers with a gps don't lie. I understand there can be some binding but I'm not going to run a higher spring rate in the secondary just to prevent binding and prevent full shift out with "MY" setup

I wasn't so lucky. The 8jp blew at 118 mph. Put a hole in the belly panel and blew the stickers off the side panel....scared the sh*% out of me. No troubles with the 8dn.

Pink spring just feels right and my numbers with a gps don't lie. I understand there can be some binding but I'm not going to run a higher spring rate in the secondary just to prevent binding and prevent full shift out with "MY" setup

OUCH! So is the 8dn belt the only one you've used or have up tried any aftermarkets?

Just 8jp and 8dn. Got the clutching close with the 8dn so really don't want change something. Just ride now

Okay new spring and belt in... Just got back from some testing now, conditions are very hardpack snow, fairly fresh groom that was rock hard.

I put the 8dn belt and set the deflection, and put the new OPO spring in primary, also changed back over to the stock pink spring wrapped at 6-1.

Weights in primary are heel: 1 tungsten and 4 washers, tip has 2 washers

After going out and warming the belt/sheaves up made a few back to back passes in the field, off the line was hitting 9300, bounced off the rev limiter once then hooked up hard, dropped rpm down to around 8300 and then started to climb fairly quickly back up, saw 9060 rpm once but averaged around 8850-8950... When I looked down at the speedometer a few times I was seeing 143-149 km/h

Already it's a hell of a lot better then it was! But is there anyway to get rid of the bounce off the limited off the line? Maybe make it more of a even shift then going up to 9300 then dropping 1000 then tractoring back up to 9000? The Rpms were still climbing I simply ran out of room, but to me it was more then enough distance the Rpms should stabilized?

Thanks again!

Add 2 washers to the tip. Also, do rolling start testing at 35 mph. Yours rpms will drop when you get traction from dead stop

So should I move the washers from heel to tip? Or add another 2 on top of the the existing washers? Did a rolling test to forgot to mention, Rpms stayed the same on the high side just didn't hit the rev limiter out of the hole

Add to the tip and clean clutches

Forgot to mention clutches were freshly cleaned before this test, sorry I left that part out lol, wanted to eliminate all the possible variables

ok. So if you cleaned them, is there any sign of significant slippage on the sheaves?

How long did you warm everything up? I usually ride 2o miles before I determine if its working right. First little bit when everything is cold it will dance off the limiter a bit if your wot, but when its warm it settles in just nice

No, no burn marks are rubber, no belt dust, felt sheaves after could hold my hand on them but they seemed warm, not hot by any means...

And just to be sure, I'm adding tip weight on top of the all the existing washers? So leave the heel and add to the tip? Sorry just want to be clear...

By adding to the tip is that not going to make it take even longer to pull the top Rpms?

Back