• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper turbo video

I don't think extra hp is even needed, I ran mine all stock last year except for a clutch kit and did suspension adjustments and freed up the rolling power of the sled and that's all it took to compete with the 800 2 strokes, in a drag race that is, top speed a stock 800 would still be faster, but even tho it's underpowered compared to an 800, a properly setup stock viper can compete and can beat stock 800s in a drag race.

Well maybe if someone can get about 10 more real HP out of the Viper it will be one of the ideal sleds to have on the trail... way more fun on the bottom with no Turbo.

Tom,

Please elaborate on your comment about the Viper being way more fun on the bottom with no turbo.

Thanks,
Dave

Tom,

Please elaborate on your comment about the Viper being way more fun on the bottom with no turbo.

Thanks,
Dave

Currently I have both a Turbo LTX and a Non Turbo XTX. In the trail thru the woods the Non Turbo is way more fun to pop off the moguls and small jumps... the turbo has to spool to make power to over come the heavier fly weights and just cant pop like the stocker... just my observation. If the stock Viper had just a few more ponies to be able to hit the 100mph mark easily it would be more of a hit then a Turbo Version in all aspects.

Last edited:
Currently I have both a Turbo LTX and a Non Turbo XTX. In the trail thru the woods the Non Turbo is way more fun to pop off the moguls and small jumps... the turbo has to spool to make power to over come the heavier fly weights and just cant pop like the stocker... just my observation. If the stock Viper had just a few more ponies to be able to hit the 100mph mark easily it would be more of a hit then a Turbo Version in all aspects.

That's all true, I was talking with a buddy of mine yesterday who has a viper (all stock) and he is considering doing a turbo to have the wow factor. I told him the wow factor is awesome, but also on any type of real rough or twisty trail the instant snap of the stock viper is just hard to beat. The turbo viper has some awesome power, but it's not instant like an n/a viper. But in a drag race against a stocker (I'm comparing to a clutched cat 7000) the turbo viper will leave it right from the launch and puts huge lengths on it in no time. Pick your poison on that one basically. But stock and turbo vipers are very fun, but they're fun in two different ways

Thanks Guys!

I am still somewhat on the fence regarding adding a turbo. I only have 10 miles on my Viper up and down the ditch and around my house on minimal snow cover.

Therefore I can not comment yet as to how I like the stock performance. I think that I need to get it broke in fully with some trail miles before I decide if it needs a turbo or not.

I really care more about having a fast and responsive sled from 30 to 80 mph on the twisty trails that I usually ride. I rarely line up and race people and I rarely have a chance to go much above 80 to 90 mph on these types of trails.

I have read a lot of info on turbo vipers but this is the first time I have heard of a stock viper having more bottom end then turbo viper did I just wast 4k the only reason I bought the turbo was for a little more low end power and to be able to lift the skis off the snow :o|

Depends on what u mean by low end, launching from a dead stop..wow hang on cuz the turbo viper pulls like crazy, cruising at say 30-40 mph and hit it and it takes a split second to build the boost but then you're gettin places in a hurry! Ultimately a turbo viper would be faster in every area of riding, the rest depends on the rider. I'm into sport bikes and relate a lot of things to that. I ride a 600, my buddies ride 1000. On the long straightaways they're gone, on twistys we can all 3 ride the 600 faster than the big bikes for the sole purpose the 1000's are just way overpowering. Turbo viper is the same way, it'll be way faster in every scenario, but it's all gonna depend on how crazy you wanna be as the pilot

Never said more bottom end power...just more snappy fun on the bottom... Studroes hit it on the head... the turbo will leave the stocker no doubt. If you ride both you will see what I am talking about.

I wish Mac & Matt would adapt tne Nytro Supercharger to make a kit for the Viper.
That would be the ultimate Trail combo.

Tom did you switch the turbo to the new quick spool waste gate? It sure woke mine up and there is no lag flip the throttle and hang on!

Tom did you switch the turbo to the new quick spool waste gate? It sure woke mine up and there is no lag flip the throttle and hang on!

I have the quick spool, it still will not hit as quick as the stocker..It will not build boost...that quick... Yours is not the same.. its not even fun to talk about it in the same sled. You drive my Supercharger and I will show you what quick throttle response is.

You guys buy and do what you want... this is my opinion... its not like I know anything..LOL

no turbo will never compare in "response" to a supercharger. would like to see dyno sheets from a supercharged sled and a turboed sled in the same hp class. just to see the curve diff.

I don't think that any non turbo Viper is going to run with any 800 two stroke. Maybe an old RX1 like mentioned will beat them but that was not the topic of this thread.

This thread is about Vipers which as I said will not beat very many 800 two strokes without a turbo.

Sorry my friend but time and time again we run with or beat 800's. Even with my 162 - 3 inch lug track I can outrun a ski doo 800....just did again last weekend. I sold my 2014 M8 as soon as my Viper beat it. Girlfriends Viper is just as fast even though she has stock exhaust, but she has the 153 2.6 powerclaw. Her sled has my clutch kit and my air box mod and runs even up with 800s. Check out NOS-PRO time slips for further proof. BUT, stock Viper won't outrun a Nytro I give you that.

Sorry my friend but time and time again we run with or beat 800's. Even with my 162 - 3 inch lug track I can outrun a ski doo 800....just did again last weekend. I sold my 2014 M8 as soon as my Viper beat it. Girlfriends Viper is just as fast even though she has stock exhaust, but she has the 153 2.6 powerclaw. Her sled has my clutch kit and my air box mod and runs even up with 800s. Check out NOS-PRO time slips for further proof. BUT, stock Viper won't outrun a Nytro I give you that.

Well I hope you are right because I ride with two buddies with new 800 Doo's and I know they will want to race. I guess I will find out soon enough! LOL!

My seat of the pants observation is that my new Viper will not be fast enough. However I only have 10 miles on it in crappy conditions so far. Once it gets broke in and I can get it on some good hard pack hopefully my impression will change.

Back