• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

viper

gsxr

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2023 SRX
We all paid for an Engineered Machine not a thrown togeather pos !!
The quality has sliped to the Cat side !
Yamaha has had zero belt or chain case issues till now !

gsxr said:

Wish you would have told me that before I had to fix my 2007 Phazer gearcase and reverse.....dang. :jump:

Seriously though, go back and look at all the known issues with chaincase and reverse in Phazer and RX1. Things happens and Yamaha fixes them, at least its not a 1982 SRX.

THe prior Yamaha's werent as good as we remember and the present not nearly as bad. MY TWO CENTS

I have had 7 yamahas and still have 5 going down to 4 after trade 2 for 1 toward 2015 Viper.

I have read these complaints on every new model since my 98 XTC deluxe. When new a few issues, somewhat common but never high % then addressed and most love them untill high miles.

Just some observation from many years with Yamaha on this site.

Yamadoo

yamadoo said:
THe prior Yamaha's werent as good as we remember and the present not nearly as bad. MY TWO CENTS

I have had 7 yamahas and still have 5 going down to 4 after trade 2 for 1 toward 2015 Viper.

I have read these complaints on every new model since my 98 XTC deluxe. When new a few issues, somewhat common but never high % then addressed and most love them untill high miles.

Just some observation from many years with Yamaha on this site.

Yamadoo

Couldn't agree more. My worst Yamaha was a 1995 Vmax 600....what a POS.

x2. my 90's exciter road like crap!

I would put the ride/engine to a 99%, love my viper. I just want seat time on every day! :Rockon:

gsxr said:
How many belt issues do you know of? I haven't heard of one that was a true yamaha clutch problem.

Zero Chain case issues?? There were more than a few 06 and 07 Apex sleds that had chain case issues.

Posted on TY June 2007 Smokey

Just stopped at my dealer and spoke with the service manager. He said he has had about 10 chain cases blow apart one of which also took out the oil tank. Surprise was 1/2 of them were 07's. He said the problem was with the magnesium chain case doesn't disapate heat. When it heats up (long high speed runs) is sucks in the seal a bit and when you loose the oil the chain case blows apart. He said in 07 they changed the cover but in his opinion this has not solved the problem. He expects that Yamaha will have a further fix in the future.

i think we all realize when we bought the viper that all manufacturers first year sleds have had issues the new viper is no different . it is just now to see if Yamaha takes the time to get these issues sorted out and us with the first year fixed up i have only had mine for a month other then the hot start it has been great with the info on here i have caught most other issues before they became issues

2430 miles. Viper has been a great sled for me.
Been a turn key operation.

Only issues was to re-adjust the chain tensioner at 300 miles. Three turns. Been good ever since.
And the once in a while hot restart issue. Sled always started.

Got 1700 miles on the 8JP belt. But I have a clutch kit. My combination of Hauck.
Belt didn't blow. It was just time for a new one.

Tried the 8JP vs the 8DN. Really no difference when belts are new.
The 8DN pulls 1-2 mph on ideal conditions.
But when the 8DN got miles on it and run hard. I lost 200-300 RPMs.

8JP works for me. You just need to have the clutching set up.

This sled is sensitive to snow conditions. Top end will be affected.

Sled does push in the corners. But a set a Curves will take care of that.

Suspension awesome. Fuel mileage pretty good.
Heated seat and ergonomics, sweet.

Sled could use about 10 more HP.
D&D can or Hurricane will take care of that.

I put 1800 plus miles on my black LTX Viper this year mostly all in Canada.

Found it to be a really fun sled to ride. Much lighter than my 06 Apex and my 11 Vector LTX SE.

Had the first service done at 500 miles which consisted of oil/filter change , chain case oil changed and readjust chain (I adjusted chain at 300 miles per dealers advice), sled was greased , track adjusted,and belt alignment checked.

This is probably the best of 4 Yamaha 4 strokes I've owned to date. I think we should focus more on the positive aspects of the sled . Talk to your dealer and salesman . In most cases they want to see you have a good experience with your sled . Remember, they want your repeat business . A lot of little things can be avoided with A little vigilance on our part.

Small issues are going to happen whether your buying a new sled or A new Mercedes- Benz .

It is a sad time of year because I started summerizing 14 Viper , 11 Vector LTX SE , 06 Apex and 06 VECTOR LTX SE .

Next year can't come soon enough for me!!!!!!

APEX HANK

Back