• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Walbro gss342

Surprised there's that much difference between 12 volts and 13.7.

I was too, I had to stare at it for a second. I justified it by thinking current is identical, voltage is just getting the impeller to move that much quicker. But then the lines should be more parallel than they are. I wrote it off as low sampling rate and a very smoothed set of curves.

Surprised there's that much difference between 12 volts and 13.7.
I mentioned it earlier in this post. Its Pretty substantial, did it back in my Grand National days. Pump doesn't like it much. And that's why I tagged it in with abuse. Manufacturers back then probably dismissed it. Today I'm sure things are different.

Good news is:
1. Sled charging system should be up into 13.7 to 14.2 range.
2. Even at 12v pump capacity is plenty.
3. Worthwhile to ensure you have a good battery and charging system.
4. Many if us run fuel pump directly off battery which will ensure max voltage, less loss due to multiple feet of wire (arguably too small gauge) and running it on shared buss with other loads.

Riddle me this....
Does the factory harness from stock pump work on gss342?
What size fuel return line do you guys use, I think it's 1/4" or 5/16", just double checking.
What are you guys using to plug old return on top of tank?

Last edited:
Yes factory wiring works and doesnt give any trouble for many but upgraded kit from boost kinetics is a nice piece and eliminates any possibilities of issues with electrical.
1/4 will fit with effort and 5/16 slips right on. Clamped properly it doesnt leak. Restrictions in return line will increase fuel pressure so less restriction is better. I believe precision uses 3/8 and high flow fittings on their kit. 1/4 works for guys too just be sure routing is good and no potential pinch points.
On the old return you can simply leave a small piece of the hose coming out of tank and insert bolt into hose and clamp it or anything creative really. No pressure there anymore you are just keeping gas from splashing out

Yes factory wiring works and doesnt give any trouble for many but upgraded kit from boost kinetics is a nice piece and eliminates any possibilities of issues with electrical.
1/4 will fit with effort and 5/16 slips right on. Clamped properly it doesnt leak. Restrictions in return line will increase fuel pressure so less restriction is better. I believe precision uses 3/8 and high flow fittings on their kit. 1/4 works for guys too just be sure routing is good and no potential pinch points.
On the old return you can simply leave a small piece of the hose coming out of tank and insert bolt into hose and clamp it or anything creative really. No pressure there anymore you are just keeping gas from splashing out
Right on, Justin. I've got the harness coming from boost kinetics. Just waiting for it. You know how he rolls. Lol.
Me: hey bud how's that harness coming along?
Him: I'll get to it when I get to it.
Me: right on, that's cool!?!? Lol!!

Last edited:
Riddle me this....
Does the factory harness from stock pump work on gss342?
What size fuel return line do you guys use, I think it's 1/4" or 5/16", just double checking.
What are you guys using to plug old return on top of tank?
Maybe i have over thought this, but if you route the return line to pump and plug the top port, if there is any fuel in the tank (think almost full) n the return line will need pressure to actually return any fuel. My sled is a 2017 and has the smaller red elbow on the top of the tank so I put a tee in the line so the fuel could return to either spot with no increase in pressure. Maybe that defeats the purpose of a return line to the pump, but so far, no problems getting it sucked up.

Maybe i have over thought this, but if you route the return line to pump and plug the top port, if there is any fuel in the tank (think almost full) n the return line will need pressure to actually return any fuel. My sled is a 2017 and has the smaller red elbow on the top of the tank so I put a tee in the line so the fuel could return to either spot with no increase in pressure. Maybe that defeats the purpose of a return line to the pump, but so far, no problems getting it sucked up.
My god, I don't understand the question? Red elbow is for vent. That just needs to be drilled out with a 3/16 drill bit.
The return is the black elbow (further forward on tank) that has a hose coming out going directly to your fuel regulator.

Oh my,, the early 17-18 had a red return elbow that were restrictive so we drilled them out , the later ones were black and were good. The idea of putting the fuel back into the sock is to help keep it full during hard acceleration and low fuel situations. I ran this way for years trail riding , burping the tank to get as much fuel in it as possible and never had an issue.

I guess it is feasible that pressure may increase if tank is full but I never noticed it .

Well, it's the best I can do. I'll have to view item when it comes in.
Thanks, turboflash.

Screenshot_20231129-170643_copy_360x473.png

Red elbow fir return was 2017 only. Then came black elbow (or drill out red bigger). Tank has a vent and return. Vent can and does allow a certain amount of pressure in fuel tank before it opens. That's why you can hear pressure escape if you loosen tank csp after sled sits once ridden. That's normal.
When tank is fuller, there may or may not be pressure (caused by vaporization of gas) depending on ambient temps, exhaust temps. With vent, it doesn't matter. Vent will discharge excess pressure so don't worry about that.
The whole intent on returning gas to "slipper" where fuel pump draws from is to reduce chances of aeration, by keeping slipper full which then keeps fuel pump intake submerged, preventing fuel pump from sucking in air. The slipper is oriented so opening faces rearward. When accelerating with lower fuel levels fuel sloshes to rear of tank into slipper thereby reducing/eliminating aeration to fuel rail where injectors are.
Conclusion: ensure slipper is always full, even when tank level is low. With return to slipper, the last place to run out of gas in low fuel situations is slipper. Without return to slipper, it's possible that fuel delivery to rail might be aerated (not good) with low fuel levels in tank caused by gas sloshing from one end if tank to the other and uncovering pickups.

Why not just buy one from Hurricane or TD and know your getting a good pump. All the research and 6 pages of posts to save a couple bucks.
Without digging thru all that. I was assuming a "good" pump was an Authentic walbro.
Originally, the post was titled "how to spot a fake" spending $200 on a fuel pump doesn't necessarily have my best interest at heart.
Not only did Mike @ Turbo Dynamics give it his official blessing, another member left a video on "how to spot a fake walbro"
My honest guess is you weren't following along with thread.
BTW, five of the pages were spun off track. But it's all good.

Last edited:
Without digging thru all that. I was assuming a "good" pump was an Authentic walbro.
Originally, the post was titled "how to spot a fake" spending $200 on a fuel pump doesn't necessarily have my best interest at heart.
Not only did Mike @ Turbo Dynamics give it his official blessing, another member left a video on "how to spot a fake walbro"
My honest guess is you weren't following along with thread.
BTW, five of the pages were spun off track. But it's all good.
Your right I didn't read it all. My apologies. My thoughts are this. If I was running Hurricane stuff I'd buy Hurricanes pump. I'm running TDs stuff so I bought their pump... Knowing full well they tested all their tunes and hardware with the pump they sell. Maybe thats just me.

Your right I didn't read it all. My apologies. My thoughts are this. If I was running Hurricane stuff I'd buy Hurricanes pump. I'm running TDs stuff so I bought their pump... Knowing full well they tested all their tunes and hardware with the pump they sell. Maybe thats just me.
Yeah, trust me, I have a slimy feeling side as well. Everything is TD, other than charge tubes & intake ($125.00) and now pump.
Tunes, dash flash, flash tool, muffler & little misc came from them.
I do my best. Besides, Mikes totally cool.

Always all good, DMC

Back