• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Want to buy a GPS, input appreciated.

Prairie Dog

Expert
Hey,
Is there a single great unit out there? I haven't ever used one but have been led out of an area once when I don't think I could have navigated out myself without one, at least without a lot of trial and error.

I assume I can mount it on the handlebar.

What kind should I look at?

GPS

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista my sled. They are waterproof and seem to be very durable. I also have the complete Topo maps for all of Canada on my computer, then when we go to a certain area, I simply download the maps for that area to my GPS. It gives a person good security being able to see where you are on a Topo map. We also have a Sat phone in case we need to get help. If you are interested I could take a photo of how and where I mounted the GPS unit.

Perry

I would give you the following advice;
- get a 'mapping' unit. These have built in base maps that the gps overlays your position onto. Cheap units (like the Garmin Gekkos) don't do this.
- there are compact units and 'standard' size units. I would get a larger unit for 2 reasons. The displays are bigger and they have better antennas so they hold the satellites better.
- I haven't mounted mine on my sled handlbars, but I have bar mounts for my dirt and street bikes. I don't think they like the cold so I use a neck strap and it's no trouble at all.
I have a Garmin eMap

Thanks for the info.

How's the battery life on these units? Would it be better to hard wire it for that purpose?

Newer full size units get around 20 hrs to set of aa's. Mine gets about 8 hrs. If you handle bar mount it, the cold will really cut the battery life.

Re: GPS

RX1 PW said:
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista my sled. They are waterproof and seem to be very durable. I also have the complete Topo maps for all of Canada on my computer, then when we go to a certain area, I simply download the maps for that area to my GPS. It gives a person good security being able to see where you are on a Topo map. We also have a Sat phone in case we need to get help. If you are interested I could take a photo of how and where I mounted the GPS unit.

Perry

I have the garmin map 76.. Just bought the topo trail/maps dics for it.. "WHAT" a disapointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should have snowmobiles trails/hiking/boat launches for inland lakes.. "RIGHT" I can't find 90% of the trails. Not even in the U.P. Heck I live next to a main trail and it's not on it. #$%&* :o| :o| We E-mailed garmin but don't expect an answer until mon. Are we doing something wrong... Man am I pi$$ed off.MM.

I just upgraded my Map 76 to the Map76 CS, it is a colour screen, with electronic compass, and more than 10 times the memory of the 76.
The RAM handlebar mounting system is very secure
http://www.ram-mount.com/
If you hard wire it, you can leave the background light on full time, so you can see it at night while driving, as well I think the light may generate some heat, which can't hurt during extreme low temps (they do freeze up under extreme temps)
There are topo maps, and city maps available.

Rick

Attachments

• DSCN2824.JPG
    DSCN2824.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 101

Back