• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning ride light from Rock

Thanks!
It is the same bracket used to mount my home built light.

I try not to put holes in panels (especially expensive ones) if I can help it. The three holes were already in the side panel so it was a fairly simple matter to bend and shape a piece of lexan as a mount. Fender washers inside ensure the bracket is solid and will not break through.

I have used home built versions of these since 2007, but decided to buy Rock's version because they are so well designed and built.

I like the way he has a led light on the back side so one can tell which color is burning out front.. not so with Ride Lites. And the off switch when not needed.
Also I thought I read it has a sensor to be brighter during the day.. is that so?

Yes, there is a small light sensor built into the back of the unit. At night, (or if you cover the sensor with your hand) the LED's dim.

I really wish this idea was more widely accepted / used. There is little knowledge of this system "out in the wild" from my experience. I have been showing this for years and there are still the majority of riders who don't know about it. At least that is my experience here in Ontario. I have only ever seen one other sled with the system.

Here is how I mounted mine on the SR Viper, using RAM mount components
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0770.jpg

I like the idea of not creating any holes for attaching the mount. How is the visibility for oncoming traffic from where it is mounted? Any additional pics to see?

Visibility to oncoming traffic is very good in that position. I don't like putting holes in panels to mount stuff.

Visibility to oncoming traffic is very good in that position. I don't like putting holes in panels to mount stuff.

Would you happen to know the part numbers for that RAM set up? Did you need to purchase the components individually or is it available as a complete kit?

I think Rock's RAD light is a good idea due to it gets a little tricky one handing the Attak around a corner and giving somebody the finger with the other hand. Two questions that come up is, how long till this gets universal recognition, and, where is the best place to mount that light? My line of sight is usually up near the rider on short notice encounters. Anybody have pics of where they are mounting the light?

I first saw them in 2005 and people where pushing them hard on TY and a few other sled sites. Its now 2018 and can't remember the last time I saw them on a sled! I have no problem riding one handed but some do, I always think there is a sled coming so no surprise except when they are on my side of the trail! When riding last year in Hearst area I gave up on hand signals as there was always another group, you got a break of a mile or two but then another line of sleds. Don't get me wrong I like the idea behind them but they just don't seem to catch on!

I see lot's of them out here in N.H.... I used them since the get go. Not too many that don't know about them around here. More and more I've seen on the trails each year...Enough to make them good enough to own.

Last edited:
I didn't read this entire thread but I can't help but wonder if Rock is going to run into some tradedress infringement or some such? For the record I had a pair of the original CSS (I think that was the name) before they changed it to RideLites......and they were JUNK......both heads failed within 18 mos. and they wanted to charge me full retail for a replacement, so in the GARBAGE they went.......

I didn't read this entire thread but I can't help but wonder if Rock is going to run into some tradedress infringement or some such? For the record I had a pair of the original CSS (I think that was the name) before they changed it to RideLites......and they were JUNK......both heads failed within 18 mos. and they wanted to charge me full retail for a replacement, so in the GARBAGE they went.......

I wouldn't think he could.. there are other manufacturers making them. They are all different to some point. I had the first Ridelites.. junk too.. leaked water..the second gen I have has wires that will break at the point of entry into the unit. They broke fairly early. The company wouldn't replace them only offer a discount on newer ones.. I am not sure but the current generation might have different wiring..
I took one of mine apart and put in new leds from Ebay and some wireing from heated helmet stuff. Sealed it up with silicone before putting together. PIA to happen at $85 per unit. The other Ridelite I have heat shrink over the connectors to stop the wires from moving much. But sooner then later it will fail. The wires are cheap indoor insulation type .. Rocks is first class outdoors stays soft wire.. plus adding the RC connector at the unit. So any RC wire can be used in case of loss of wiring. Ride Lite should of done this the first time.. Typical non snow mobiler designer I bet.

Would you happen to know the part numbers for that RAM set up? Did you need to purchase the components individually or is it available as a complete kit?
RAM Mount Part numbers:

4 inch arm: RAM-B-201U 6 inch arm also available: RAM-B-201-C
Handlebar u-bolt base: RAM-B-231-ZU alternative available such as RAM-B-408-75-1U
Square ball base: RAM-B-347U alternative is diamond ball base RAM-B-238U

I stuck the included Ride Light Velcro onto the ball base

Back