• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Was the ECU Flash done?

Cabinflyer

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper S-TX 137 DX, 2016 XF 6000 Crosstrek, 2007 AC 660T
I recently bought a 2016 Viper from a dealer. They claim the Flash was done. I'm a little suspect because the screws holding the hood on were oxidized and to me this indicated they were not recently removed.

So....how can you tell if the ECU was done? A friend suggested Yamaha keeps track of what sleds have what updates. Truth or myth?

Steve

Get another dealer to check your vin

Call Yamaha 1-800 number they can run your vin and tell you. But the dealer has to submit to Yamaha the flash was installed, which they are supposed to do after they do the flash

Last edited:
Here is my experience. I called Yamaha they ran my vin, they said the newest flash was not installed. I called the dealer he said the newest flash was installed and he had not submitted it to Yamaha at that time. Maybe I will call Yamaha again on Monday and check to see.

Here is my experience. I called Yamaha they ran my vin, they said the newest flash was not installed. I called the dealer he said the newest flash was installed and he had not submitted it to Yamaha at that time. Maybe I will call Yamaha again on Monday and check to see.
Thats impossible. Only way a dealer can get the new flash to put in your sled is to submit the work to Yamaha. PM me your Vin.

With my experience if you still have the 16 flash and it runs good I'd leave it. Mine was awesome untill they started flashing it

I will not have my 2016 reflashed, to many unsatisfactory results. It has no major issues as of now so no resin to risk it.

Only reason I did it and its a big one is the latest flash prevents kickbacks which will ruin your starter and put metal into your engine. Just so you know.
This is the reason I want it done. My friend had a kickback on her 2016 (same model as mine) and it cost he big $$$

The last flash also took out a dead spot just off idle that made it a pain in the butt to drive slowly around the yard or garage.

On a stock sled there also was a performance increase especially at acceleration and fuel saving at mid range. Its really too bad they have a stall issue and they had to do the starter protection with what can be a two try starting process.

Cabinflyer, They don't remove the hood to flash it, remove right side panel and open panel in front of right knee and plug connection is there beside oil tank.

Back