• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Was TORS acting up on my XTX?

dox06

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
17 SW XTX SE
17 G4 Gade 850
Well guys here is my issue. Friday Michigan got about 12-15inches of Lake affect snow over near Grand Rapids. You betcha, had to go and play. My buddies and I went out and made a little pull.

Brand new 09 XTX no miles and I had to go....

So we go play around a little and after about five miles when I would roll out of the throttle and grab it again, the check engine light would flash and the motor would go into limp mode. Thought possibly the throttle cable was just to tight and setting off the TORS. So I loosened the cable and took off again. NOPE. Was able to get about fifty miles on, but everynow and then the same thing would happen. It was would not do it every time you roll out of the throttle and then back into it, but everytime it did it it was the samething. The check motor symbol would flash on the gauge pod and the yellow warning light would flash. NO codes, the motor would go into limp mode until you sat there a few seconds. Then you could take off again.

Thoughts or Ideas. I need help. What do you guys think?????

usually the flashing sequence is the code....i.e. fast steady or on and off 1 sec on and 1.5 off etc.....look in your owner manual for listed codes..
at least thats how its been in the past..

Ideas

Just to give everyone an answer to what the problem was. I did take it into a shop and had them read the computer. It was the TORS. They reset the computer codes and loosened all of the cables. They said the cables were a little tight and that might have been the cause for the TORS going off. Of course when they rode it the problem never happened for them.

They told me they did not think it would happen again, but it might because they could not find anything else wrong. Oh, and now they are charging me forty bucks due to them not finding anything. I asked them why I was getting charged forty bucks since they did find that there was an error code, TORS, stored in the computer. They told me all they did was clear the codes, so they have to charge me for that.

Way to go one year factory warranty and four year YES warranty. Took care of me there!!!!!! :o|

just like the doctor...cant run to them for every sniffle....the owners manual has the answers usually...

Did you ask them why the code did not show on the display?

I would contact Yamaha and complain, because that should of been a warranty issue. I'd be ticked off even though it's only $40, but the point is it should be coverd by warranty. Just an FYI Yamaha is very easy to deal with and they will call dealerships to straighten them out. Remeber it's there name that some of these dealerships give a bad name. (just my 2 cents)

nytro addict said:
I would contact Yamaha and complain, because that should of been a warranty issue. I'd be ticked off even though it's only $40, but the point is it should be coverd by warranty. Just an FYI Yamaha is very easy to deal with and they will call dealerships to straighten them out. Remeber it's there name that some of these dealerships give a bad name. (just my 2 cents)

x2... Call Yamaha Service and ask for a refund and report the dealer... That is very wrong... In fact I would not have paid them..

TORS

It is at Nelsons, I am going to pick it up this afternoon. I have not paid the forty bucks yet. I am planning on talking with Jack and asking him why the service department wants to charge for a warranty issue.

Hopefully it does not act up again this weekend.

To reply to the running to the doctor for every sniffle comment. I don't think that is the case here. I do believe the bigger issue is that fact that it is a new sled with less than fifty miles on it. It should not be acting up all ready. :moon:

Just an FYI, when the warning light comes on, apart from during the warmup, the code number is flashed in the same location as the odometer reading is, not the large speedo (kph,mph) readout. I believe it alternates between the code number and the odometer reading.

Maybe some people don't realize this and thought I'd inform some.

Also, I don't think a code pops up when there is an overheat situation or when you're low on fuel or oil. An icon usually flashes onscreen when this occurs.

Re: TORS

dox06 said:
It is at Nelsons, I am going to pick it up this afternoon. I have not paid the forty bucks yet. I am planning on talking with Jack and asking him why the service department wants to charge for a warranty issue.

Hopefully it does not act up again this weekend.

To reply to the running to the doctor for every sniffle comment. I don't think that is the case here. I do believe the bigger issue is that fact that it is a new sled with less than fifty miles on it. It should not be acting up all ready. :moon:

after thinking about it ...I think you are right...my comment was just a generalization...and since you are brand new and havent been under the hood tinkering like I do...I agree with you completely..you shouldnt have to pay anything...

I guess since I do the power adder's etc. I might feel compelled to take care of this stuff myself..

fyi Nelsons tried to charge me the mastercard fee to use it to pay a small balance on picking up my sled from them..

I think since the volumes are so down they are hurting and trying to make it up wherever they can

they shouldnt charge u just becuase you bought the sled there! check the computer and loosen the throttle cable? thats a 2 min fix my dealer would have done in the parking lot if you pulled up. And he wouldnt have charged, and I'd prob be so happy i would have gone in and bought something for my sled....just my 2 cents...

what i find works the best is if you go see the salesman if you have a problem with service. i had my sled in on warranty and they wanted to charge me 80$ for labor after i only owned it for like 2 weeks. i went up to the guy who sold me the sled and told him that he can take it back and give me a refund and he went over and told the service guy not to charge me the 80$. its sad but i find the best way to get results is to be an #*$&@.

Back