• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What could Yamaha offer to make you buy a new sled?

The running board heat exchangers are important for keeping feet warm in the same manner hot grips did, and for the structure of the running board. The Yamahas without them had flimsy running boards. They could still put more under the tunnel. What is wrong with the stock Yamaha skis?

Super Sled said:
Seriously 4X4, did you just ask what was wrong with Yammi skis? They are really bad.

Sometimes it's a case of "you don't know what you don't know". All I've ever ridden are sleds with stock ski's. I know they are bad because everybody in the world tells me they are bad, not from personal experience. I haven't replaced my skis because I tend not to think about it a whole lot (until I'm bitching in a corner) or because I can't decide which to get because everybody says theirs are the best.

Yep, serious question. I never had one break and any other problem should be solvable with a bigger ski rod. What is different about the ones you guys like?

4x4 said:
The running board heat exchangers are important for keeping feet warm in the same manner hot grips did, and for the structure of the running board. The Yamahas without them had flimsy running boards. They could still put more under the tunnel. What is wrong with the stock Yamaha skis?

I have ridden many different sleds without heat exchangers under the running boards and never had problems with cold feet.
besides, they are in an awful location for getting snow thrown on them for cooling which is actually why they are there in the first place.
with them mounted under the tunnel they get more snow on them and therefore cool the sled better. you dont see any other manufactured using this design for a reason. it dont work so well for its actual intended purpose, cooling the motor
i agree with you they could mount more under the tunnel but if you look around in the apex forums you will see that guys that tend to stand and ride have a tendency to break the coolers when they are used as supports under your feet. just i more problem i would prefer not to encounter.

just about any aftermarket ski will give you better handeling than the stock yamaha skis. the last 2 yamaha sleds i bought, skis were the first things i changed and it made massive improvements in the sleds handeling each time.

4x4 said:
Yep, serious question. I never had one break and any other problem should be solvable with a bigger ski rod. What is different about the ones you guys like?

every ski has pros and cons
i like simmons flexi skis model 1
track better. wider so they have better flotation. dont dart as much as stock.
some people will chime in with thier down sides but for me i have experienced more positives than negatives

I had a Vector and loved the running board coolers! They kept the boards clear of snow and ice and worked just fine in my snow conditions and area. If I was riding in super hard, icy conditions I'd just drag my feet to spray some snow or grab some snow off the side of the trail and throw it on top of the running boards. If your conditions are often this bad then a guy needs a set of scratchers because hyfax wear is going to be just as big of a problem.

I don't personally think there is anything wrong with the stock Yamaha skis. They steer light and they are predictible over a wide range of conditions. They absolutely suck for off trail use because they are too skinny (5" wide) but for trail use they work fine. The Deltabox chassis doesn't have inherient handlign flaws like does the Nytro. A set of aftermarket skis won't fix the Nytro. I've tried many brands and none are the magic cure.

low slung said:
If the latest technology they have in the patents shows up for 2013 we may be looking at and riding a new kind of sled.One in which the rider/sled corners as one.If this comes true(and they can keep the overall weight in check)the competition will be rubbernecking as we pull some sick action with very little effort from the rider.As for the other three sled builders LaLaLa having there riders join in group therapy sessions on which sled is the lightest,they may be missing the next step in sled evolution.Got my fingers crossed :jump: .

Honda holds many snomo patents for years & never built sleds. Don't know Yams history with patents but sure don't want more complex sled than we already have. Yam needs to lose weight take parts off not put more on as has been their trend. If this new tech uses KISS method fine with me but I'm not wanting higer prices in any case $15K MSRP not going to happen for me. 10K yes.

Ya, and hey sorry guys I just came across as such a smart a$$. But I think many find the stock severely lack in the comfort and performance departments. They can made to be acceptable, but never better than average. For on trail performance these heavy four stroke like a ski with a tall keel that can really hold a line, in any conditions.

I never tried the other skis or looked at them much. In a technical sort of way how do the others handle and the physical characteristics of the ski.

Cheaper price, not cheaply built....Yammys are overpriced. Check out other comparable sleds from the other OEMs and you'll see that Yamaha consistently have a higher selling price.

I would like to see them do one major model change every three years and be tweaking existing models like they do now in between those yesrs. By tweaks I mean better skis, power steering, heat exchanger upgrades to etc
. Which will give them time to test these upgrades for the three year revamps. As far as major changes im thinking a phazer vector cross bread which is light at 120hp . Maybe a new srx model with a tuned down motor off their jetski. Better and longer term fixed financing. Yamahas can put on huge dependable miles as we know. Almost like a car. For a couple to buy two new sleds and a trailer with gear its a $30,000.00+ investment. In this economy that is difficult to swallow for most. If they came up with gap insurance and financing that wasn't like a credit card I bet they could sell more. Teaming with aftermarket suppliers like they are doing with mpi etc will cut down on engineering costs and help the small guys succeed. Who cares who makes the stuff as long as it works and lasts. Lock em in to long term contracts and add their success to our sleds. Say c&a skis on all, sled start lights on all, hygear suspensions, light weight excel exhausts, adjustable rox risers etc. Make big volume deals with people like this and have them already on the sleds. Im sure all under yamaha name. You don't see Ford putting their suppliers names on their cars. All of these things would increase customer base, sales and start putting us ahead of the curve. Cause this thing of adding one thing like power steering isn't causing most people to buy a new sled when their old one lasts forever. My over winded two cents.lol

Back