• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What did I buy!? Possible factory race sled?

It's a factory front end... you'll love it (have the same)!!!

There are parts available. I snagged a complete right side for mine when I found them . All my years riding on and off trail and I've only ever smashed up the right side front suspension....... on EVERY sled I own lol.

There are parts available. I snagged a complete right side for mine when I found them . All my years riding on and off trail and I've only ever smashed up the right side front suspension....... on EVERY sled I own lol.

New or used parts? It has been the right side for me too!

Yea I guess maybe I should have elaborated. That's what I want to do, but none of them are sold by size, but by application. Unless I look up custom made ones of course. I just thought that maybe the measurements I took match another Yamaha model, where I could order a kit for that model and just use the pieces as needed.

My lowers measure 40mm across, 30mm OD, and the stock bushings are 18mm ID. This about matches the "09+ a-arm bushing dimensions: 23mm OD, 18mm ID, 22mm long with a 3mm flange" found in another thread on this forum. The ONLY measurement I don't know is the ID of the arm itself, but I'm hoping the 30mm OD translates to a 23mm ID to match the factory bushings, hopefully...

Update! I "think" I actually found about everything I needed! I will admit I've spent hours outside this forum comparing and researching everything but heck, I think I actually figured it all out.

The upper "uniball" joints are HIN6-T from FK Bearings. These are still on their way here but the measurements on FK's website were spot on with what I measured. Thank you FK for making this easily viewable, really helped out.

The lower ball joints (pictured below, just got them from Amazon a few minutes ago) are Can-Am part number 706202044, or as I ordered - American Star A-1043BJ-CM. I've read very mixed reviews on this brand and have no idea what to expect, but for under $40 for the pair I'll keep my fingers crossed. At least now I have a cross reference to other brands if these do fail early. I specifically used Amazon for the hassle free returns because trying to find a company that posted specific measurements was near impossible. I assumed I was going to be ordering and returning set after set before I found the right ones but, got lucky in the first order!

The bushings SHOULD be the same from a 2008 model year ONLY Nytro. I still haven't gotten these yet but I grabbed a set off Amazon (Yamaha SMA-8GLFR-KT-08 08 FX 10 Oilite Fr Bush Kit; SMA8GLFRKT08 Made by Yamaha). The only issue is that I'll be missing two bushings (per arm). The OEM arms have a cross tube (upper only) so only two bushings are needed. Mine are same upper and lower - four bushings are needed per arm. I'll most likely destroy the first bushing during removal but once it's out, I can probably press the opposite bushing out from the inside with a hydraulic press. Or just order new OEM ones as needed. So my inner bushings might be plastic vs oilite, but I'm ok with that. Travis at BOP called me and has a set of 08 upper arms (used) that he says has oilites in them, so he said he's going to see if he can rescue them and sell them to me. Thanks Travis!

If all this works out and the front end gets all back together I'll post some results on here. Hopefully if anyone else ever goes this route with a Nytro this forum will save them days of work looking for replacement parts. Thanks everyone for the responses!

Attachments

• IMG_20191129_123911_compress8.jpg
    IMG_20191129_123911_compress8.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_20191129_123845_compress47~2.jpg
    IMG_20191129_123845_compress47~2.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 94
Ah I looked at that sled (They advertised it as a race sled with no reverse right?) (I live a block away from Port Yamaha), looked like fun too ,but reading this I'm glad I passed for well sorted XTX.

Mine does have reverse but based on it's history it could have very well be added afterwords. I don't know if these came any different than a factory Nytro. Did any Nytro not even have reverse stock?

The front frame/suspension sounds like it was a kit available after the sled was built aimed towards race usage. I was told it was possibly built by FAST by the guys at Port Yamaha, but I emailed FAST and got no response. I think FAST specializes in rear suspension so they might have been thinking about the rear skid relocation kit, who knows.

Glad you found a nice XTX! I really wanted a XTX but riding the Cadillac/Manistee trail area of Michigan...we've unfortunately had less than par snowfall in the past years and well, a 144" just isn't really practical for the area. I mostly ride off the state trails and stick to locally known two-tracks so this sled was best of both worlds - moved back 121" skid equaling a 128" track. I guess a 136" skid could be even more ideal but I'll take what I can get.

Yes the front end has been a lot of work, but I'm so excited to ride this thing. I've read, and even verbally in real life heard, people complain about the handling/steering on these sleds. I hope it's blown out of proportion. But I'm also glad to own one that I've heard nothing bad about whatsoever, until buying mine of course, haha. I don't mind a challenge though, my garage is full of half torn apart cars, bikes, etc.

I am one of those rare people who has a non reverse model from factory lol.

Interesting! I know I had quite a time loading that heavy front end sled into the back of my Ranger, I'll probably enjoy the reverse backing it out of the garage in the mornings, hah.

This is my first snowmobile ever with reverse actually. But then again, I'm coming from a 2000 ZR440 sno pro. A sled like that doesn't really need reverse.

Yeah, what's up with that?? Always seemed to be the right side a arms or doo trailing arms!!! Wierd...throttle side....hit a rock under the right side (apex) and snapped a sway bar too...lol...Busted my sump when I hit a log right of center on my rx1....if it was left side it wouldn't have broken the sump cover tab!!

Being from North America we probably tend to hang to the right side of the trail anyways? That's where all the hazardous "stuff" is that hurts our machines.

Mine does have reverse but based on it's history it could have very well be added afterwords. I don't know if these came any different than a factory Nytro. Did any Nytro not even have reverse stock?

The front frame/suspension sounds like it was a kit available after the sled was built aimed towards race usage. I was told it was possibly built by FAST by the guys at Port Yamaha, but I emailed FAST and got no response. I think FAST specializes in rear suspension so they might have been thinking about the rear skid relocation kit, who knows.

Glad you found a nice XTX! I really wanted a XTX but riding the Cadillac/Manistee trail area of Michigan...we've unfortunately had less than par snowfall in the past years and well, a 144" just isn't really practical for the area. I mostly ride off the state trails and stick to locally known two-tracks so this sled was best of both worlds - moved back 121" skid equaling a 128" track. I guess a 136" skid could be even more ideal but I'll take what I can get.

The one I looked at had no reverse, and was being sold as a factory race sled. But yeah the 144 is long but I didn't want a short track. Hoping this season I can get more seat time on it to get it dialed in. I couldn't pass this one up either for how clean it was, the rear suspension doesn't have a spot of rust!

I think the handling just takes getting used to, especially if you're coming from a 2-stroke, the front end gets real heavy when you let off the gas to go thru a turn. I think keeping on the throttle a bit thru a turn will keep it from getting too front heavy.

I've ridden my buddies 06 Apex a little bit so I kind of know what you mean about staying on the throttle a little around turns. Do the Nytro's engine brake as hard as the Apex's do?

I've ridden my buddies 06 Apex a little bit so I kind of know what you mean about staying on the throttle a little around turns. Do the Nytro's engine brake as hard as the Apex's do?

No idea, last sled was a Skidoo Rev chassis, and a SRX before that, used to letting off the gas to transfer weight to the front and get the rear to come around but this doesn't seem to need it. Granted I bought the XTX in the middle of February this year so only have maybe 50 miles on it with whatever settings the guy had on it before. Bought it from Johnson Sales in Arlington WI.

Back