• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What helmet do you use?

thegrizzly1

Lifetime Member
Well, after 350+ miles this past weekend in –ridiculous temperatures, my biggest issue was the lack of vision due to the face shield frosting up. I have a decade old Snow Force (one) helmet with a heated visor. I have never had a problem in the past, and I know I have ridden in some pretty cold temps. I am guessing something finally gave up the ghost or maybe it was just too darn cold out for the shield to keep up. After 10 years, I get enough cold air infiltration to warrant a new helmet. (I can no longer get replacement shields for the original snow force through Yamaha).

I know the Skidoo/Darth Vader helmets seem to be pretty good, but what are your real world opinions? What do you like and use? I have never been a real big fan of the motocross style helmets, but I see more and more people using them. I do a lot of ditch and off trail riding where I will work up a good sweat working the machine. Something that doesn’t fog up is a must. I also would like to wear glasses under the helmet. I prefer them to contacts, but ever since I got my Snow Force, I could never wear glasses in it without the glasses fogging over. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks for any input.

I use the first design ski-dog brain bucket the second design with the knob on the front doesnt work as well probably the best is going to the third design but very costly.

I use a SkiDoo BV2S and like it. I have a couple friends with the older SkiDoo Modulars and say they get a slight breeze. In really cold weather it will give them a quarter size red spot from the cold on each side of their face.

I really like the tinted flip down visor on bright days which is the reason I switched from an HJC with eletric visor.

I had good luck with this style helmet with this breath guard,no fogging issues.And I am able to wear sun glasses with out fogging either.

Attachments

• FOGGY BREATH GUARD.jpg
    FOGGY BREATH GUARD.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 181
  • HAYDEN WIRED REPLICA.jpg
    HAYDEN WIRED REPLICA.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 194
  • RX1 JUMP 1 (2).jpg
    RX1 JUMP 1 (2).jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 147
Scorpion MX style, VX-14 Stalker with Pro-Vue Goggles seals up the whole way around the helmet. I was in -5 this weekend and still did not have to wear a headsock. Unbelievable! Best part is you can get the Pro-Vue goggles with a prescription built in. I don't know how you guys wear the helmets with shields that flip up. We rode with a guy that had the ski-doo modular helmet and he hated it. We were stopping at every dealer to try to find him a helmet like mine. He now has one! They will give you frostbite above zero. Do a goggle search for Scorpion helmets, and Pro-Vue goggles. Well worth your time and money, and will never, ever fog.

I have been using a snow cross helmit and goggles for the past 2 winters, I will not go back to a full face helmit. For years I dealt with visors fogging/freezing up and finally went the sno cross route with zero regrets.

radianguy said:
I have been using a snow cross helmit and goggles for the past 2 winters, I will not go back to a full face helmit. For years I dealt with visors fogging/freezing up and finally went the sno cross route with zero regrets.

With ya there, I have had soo many problems with my BVS helmet, junk junk junk always freezes and fogs on me for some reason im sick of it. Going with some Oakley goggles and some wicked graphic helmet for next year most likely a fox or a fly helmet.

At 260 lbs, I breath a little harder than most. Had tried the cheaper models that buddies were using with good luck. I couldnt go a mile without them fogging.
Then bought an HJC with heated visor, it worked better but still fogged.
I finally broke down and and bought the BVS2 from SkiDoo. It has been the best yet. But should you get moisture on the inside of the visor it will fogg.

By the way .. Friends all bought my old helmets and they say they work great. Called me a fat bastard and told me to get in shape.

Bell Moto 7 and Oakley crowbar/sno-cross goggles and A Yamaha no-fog breath deflector. With quality Winter Goggles it wont fog. Even when I go in to pay for gas I dont remove them and they still dont fog going inside back to outside. I have ridden in +10 C to -30 C and its all good. Not to mention the fact moto-x helmets are much lighter making your neck much happier at the end of the day.

i just upgraded to a hjc cl-15 from a hjc cl-12. in my case i cannot use the breath deflector because it fogs my glasses worse. at -25c i still have some issues to work out at -15c it is 10x better than the cl12.

Snow Force IV with an electric shield, 1,700 miles and no problems. I can not fog it going down the trail even when I breathe right on it. When it's really cold, I wear a "turtle fur" tucked up into the bottom edge of the helmet - nice and toasty, no fogging.

I use an HJC moto x helmet with Pro Vue prescription goggles. In 10 years, I have never had a fogging up problem. With a little fabricating, my goggles seal up real well inside my helmet with a nose piece lined with fleece.

Back