• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what I think should be in the 2014 apex

devinzz1

Expert
Its probably been said before but i cant find any discussion on it so... We know that the rx-1 had the r1 motorcycle engine then it had the updated engine in the apex from the r1 but its been 3 years since yamaha came up with their 180hp cross-plane engine in the r1. Even if their is no chassis updates it would be a very good buying point if it was the sled with the most hp (3 more than arctic cats turbo) im sure some weight would be lost to. What do you guys think?

I personally dont need more power than what is available from Yamaha today. The new 2014 Apex or whatever they call it needs to go on a diet. I know they say that PS makes it feel 100 lbs lighter, but at the end of the day you are still dealing with the weight of the sled. Dont get me wrong, I love my Attak and would probably like the newer Apex models with power steering, but if the "new" sled is a 2013 Apex with 180 hp, not really interested in parting with big $$ for that.

T-Bone said:
I personally dont need more power than what is available from Yamaha today. The new 2014 Apex or whatever they call it needs to go on a diet. I know they say that PS makes it feel 100 lbs lighter, but at the end of the day you are still dealing with the weight of the sled. Dont get me wrong, I love my Attak and would probably like the newer Apex models with power steering, but if the "new" sled is a 2013 Apex with 180 hp, not really interested in parting with big $$ for that.

if more powers not your thing then im sure they will still have the vector. and not just that but the cross-plane has an even smoother feel and is better on gas according to yamaha back at the release. and to even fit the engine in the chassis has to be redesigned a bit giving yamaha an opportunity to shave off some weight bearing in mind that you can only go so light with a 4 cylinder 4 stroke

How about doing something so easy, it's considered quite ridiculous that they haven't done it; put the grip/thumb warmer controls both on the left handlebar. Geez, Yamaha, get with the program.

I think they will be looking at getting back to one chassis for the entire lineup like they did back in 1997. Right now they've got to many chassis and parts to be profitable. My guess is the next generation chassis will use a CF Die Cast sub frame similar to what they have now but will use only 2 & 3 cylinder engines including a H.O. Super Charged version that will make the heavy 4 Cylinder unnecessary. Looking at what they've done with the cross country race sleds and now that the dust has settled with the EPA emission requirements I think they know what direction they need to go. Also I think one of the reasons they've been slow with new product is getting the new chassis sleds online to be built in the USA (probably Georgia with the ATV's).

i could use more hp 180 would be great anyone that does ot need hp can always get a vector i think if they could shave weight that would be sweet

1 TOUZAN said:
I think they will be looking at getting back to one chassis for the entire lineup like they did back in 1997. Right now they've got to many chassis and parts to be profitable. My guess is the next generation chassis will use a CF Die Cast sub frame similar to what they have now but will use only 2 & 3 cylinder engines including a H.O. Super Charged version that will make the heavy 4 Cylinder unnecessary. Looking at what they've done with the cross country race sleds and now that the dust has settled with the EPA emission requirements I think they know what direction they need to go. Also I think one of the reasons they've been slow with new product is getting the new chassis sleds online to be built in the USA (probably Georgia with the ATV's).

they had the phazer, vmax 4, sx, and many other chassis in 97? but I do get what you mean... like how ski doo has the xp soon to be all xs and xr(4 stroke)n arctic cat has the procross chassis, and polaris the pro ride. All the development goes into one chassis with different suspensions etc... to differ riding types

is the 2-cylinder engine, like the phazer engine quite a bit lighter than the Apex 4-cyl?

Would it make sense to drop in a turbo 2-cyl to get the same 150-160hp to cut weight? Or is it the same weight once you drop in the plumbing to add a Turbo or SC?

For those of us that are happy with 150hp that might be an option. But I think all of us would agree, I don't care to loose reliability either. And I wam assuming that is why we have seen very little up until the last couple of years. It's the same reason Yamaha has not introduced their SC engines in their boats until 2013. The SC PWC engines stayed in the PWC until just this new model year. Those guys in Yamaha boats don't ask for Hp either.

Just curious.

biffdotorg said:
is the 2-cylinder engine, like the phazer engine quite a bit lighter than the Apex 4-cyl?

Would it make sense to drop in a turbo 2-cyl to get the same 150-160hp to cut weight? Or is it the same weight once you drop in the plumbing to add a Turbo or SC?

For those of us that are happy with 150hp that might be an option. But I think all of us would agree, I don't care to loose reliability either. And I wam assuming that is why we have seen very little up until the last couple of years. It's the same reason Yamaha has not introduced their SC engines in their boats until 2013. The SC PWC engines stayed in the PWC until just this new model year. Those guys in Yamaha boats don't ask for Hp either.

Just curious.

there gona want it to run off of 87octane so there not gona get much out of the little phazer engine. I had the idea that since the phazer engine is literally 2 yz250f engines attached then why not do the same with the yz450f engine? a 900cc engine with 110-120hp in the phazer chassis...

They need the Crossplane and 4 valve motor if for nothing more than the sound.If you have heard a crossplane motor there would be no doubt!If not that I would like to see a sled developed around a Boxer/flat 4 engine for the lower CG it would offer.

cannondale27 said:
They need the Crossplane and 4 valve motor if for nothing more than the sound.If you have heard a crossplane motor there would be no doubt!If not that I would like to see a sled developed around a Boxer/flat 4 engine for the lower CG it would offer.
According to Chris Reid on SLEDTALK the yamaha engineer Masao Furusawa was really big on the idea of a boxer motor in a snowmobile.

It seems obvious to me and the people I've talked to, lower the weight, lower the price and improve the suspension. If Yamaha can't do that I will be switching.

Back