• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

what I think should be in the 2014 apex

Alright, I give up! You guys are right, heavier is better! I just joined the gym cause I'm just weak! The magazines are wrong, the other three manufactures are wrong, lightweight sleds are a conspiracy theory right up there with UFOs at Area 51 and the US was responsible for the attacks on 9/11! lol. I say get rid of the titanium chaincase cover and headers, use heavier materials the sled will handle better and not bounce around the trail! Yamaha should save the money and just pump up the HP on the Apex and call it good. Honestly, I do love my Attak as is but I will try and add some weight to make it better! Can't wait for the snow!

This post is just for fun! Don't take it personally! Life is short, laugh a lot!

Wedge, i hear the U.P. is alot like northern Maine where i ride. You'll have great input on this site. Welcome aboard.

T-Bone is right... Yamaha needs to drop 100lbs off there Apex. They need a new motor, not one off from they bike world. THE CG is just to high. They need to lower the motor in the chassis. I dont think they need a Turbo. But a NA anout 170-180hp. You cant use more then 170hp in the trail anyways. It just does not hookup and most straight stretches don't allow for the sled to spool up in order to use all of the power.

They need the same chassis across there line with different motor and shock package and/or bling... I think Chris Reid alutted to this before in his blog.

Two biggest things I see that are a must... THEY NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT AND GET THE BALANCE RIGHT on the sled. It can't be so front heavy . 4 stroke motors needs to be slammed down into the chassis. Reduce the high center of gravity and pull the motor as far back as possible. Remove the Rear exit exhaust. Put the battery in the rear to help offset the weight. I think even the gas tank could be even more evolved towards the back of the sled and under the seat. Doo has it right with the majority of the tank under the seat, but they still have the filler neck in front of you. I think it could switched to the back of the sled and use the front part as storage.

SledFreak said:
It can't be so front heavy . 4 stroke motors needs to be slammed down into the chassis. Reduce the high center of gravity and pull the motor as far back as possible. Remove the Rear exit exhaust. Put the battery in the rear to help offset the weight.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the sled lighter overall, I agree with exactly 50% of what you said. Slamming it down in the chassis to get a lower center of gravity is a GREAT idea. (Although I never have the ski lift / tippy issues that I did riding Polaris). However, moving the sleds weight back would be terrible. The Apex is a TRAIL SLED. If you dont have weight to transfer to the outside carbide, you will not be able to rail through corners. Having weight moved to the back end of the sled would create a lighter front end and then when you pound the throttle in the apex of the corner, your front end will lift up. Hell, most of the aggressive riders would tell you that they are torquing down their limiter strap to get more pressure on their skis. Moving weight back would do the opposite.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Skidoo did not move the engine back. They moved the rider forward, over the engine. The rider moving forward actually gets more weight on the skis.

I can see from your avatar that you are not riding an Apex and that your skis are off the ground. I can imagine the smile on your face under that helmet! An Apex can wheelie like mad if you loosen out the limiter strap, soften the back suspension to low and move back on the seat. Cadillac low rider style and your front end wont touch the ground. (Just makes cornering a BITCH)

Wedge, I'm surprised you have to do that much to wheelie your Apex. At a stand still with hard packed trail if I hammer the throttle I almost have to let go cause my skis are going to stab me in the head. Rear suspension at mid stiffness and at a good ride height no major adjustments just as is no problems doing this. Although riding a 600MXZ I did notice that I can wheelie at the top of hills and with the Apex I need to hammer almost at the bottom of the hill to get a good wheelie at the top.

Haha, ya I guess the weight thing is a little bit misleading. I guess I meant a sleds worth is not only related to its weight. No I dont think the apex should gain 50 lbs, but I also think that it needs to be the lightest snowmobile in earth. For instance, if they made all of the changes that Sledfreak suggested without reducing the weight an ounce there will be a dramatic improvement made.

They are perfect the way they are, It's a Snowmobile let's ride.

they should prolly just leave them alone for the next few years. lol I just bought one last year.

Despite everyone's opinion's and constructive criticism in this thread (weight, chassis, engines, etc.), I would like to point out that I have never before witnessed the amount of brand loyalty that I see on this site. You don't see this over on the other sites where trash talk and verbal diarrhea rule the roost.

It's conversations like these that keep me coming back every day to read on! It's conversations like these that keep me riding Yamaha.

Super Sled said:
thor452 said:
they should prolly just leave them alone for the next few years. lol I just bought one last year.

Well if they stop making the Apex then yours will become more valuable
well i guess i never thought of it that way. if they stop macking the apex id be hard pressed to ever buy a new one. :yam:

In regards to Yamaha 2014...I love the Apex but she is heavy. Awesome trail sled. My 09 was a dream to run on the trail, but to go play in the powder it's just too heavy. I know its a pipe dream but I actually miss my Viper, even though the factory suspension was nothing to write home about. Was light, quick, reliable, and they were half the price of a new 4 stroke. So I guess my 2014 wish would be a performance 2 stroker to return to the lineup. Apex is just getting to expensive for me.

northernsledder.jk said:
Despite everyone's opinion's and constructive criticism in this thread (weight, chassis, engines, etc.), I would like to point out that I have never before witnessed the amount of brand loyalty that I see on this site. You don't see this over on the other sites where trash talk and verbal diarrhea rule the roost.

It's conversations like these that keep me coming back every day to read on! It's conversations like these that keep me riding Yamaha.
Nice post, I couldn't agree more. Yes, this is a very brand loyal group, but generally we're picking our own stuff apart and figuring out how to tweak and improve them instead of just hating other brands.. I enjoy being a part of such a progressive group. Lots of bright and knowledgable members, eager to help and share info! :Rockon:

Back