• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to get?

calvinsviper

Veteran
I'm new to sport ATV's currently have an 05 660 Grizzly and an 01 Sportsman in the garage. I hang out a lot at my Yammi dealers and the other night i decided to help him move all the ATV's back into the shop at closing time. Hopped on this little Blaster first and what a surprise so light and peppy even pulled the wheels off the ground with not much effort. Then i hopped on a 700 Raptor what a rush! that thing would pull the wheels in the air through the first two gears wahooo! Anyway's i have a bonus check coming next month that will give me some play money and i'm thinking new toy what would you buy I'm looking at either the 350 Raptor, 450 YFZ, or the 700 Raptor. I like to go fast but i'm more interested in fun factor with this toy jumping, wheelies etc etc.. I'm a light weight at 140 and i'll be 50 this year (yeah i still like to have fun) ;)! those of you that have an opinion or recommendation lets hear what you have to say. :-o

Thanks in advance
Convert

I have an older Raptor 660, 2004, and find it very entertaining. I love how the Yfz handles and its a gas to ride hard, however im in my Mid thirties and came to the conclusion that it was too aggressive for my needs. I piped my 660, and love how torquey it is, no need to rev. Third gear power wheelies easy. The new 700 gets fantastic reviews and if i didnt get my 660 leftover for a good price i woulda bought the 700.Raptors work well in the trails and jump decent, a set of front shocks from a Yfz is a great upgrade and work great, but a mx quad it isnt. Your decision was the same for me, and im happy thus far with my Raptor.

Forget the Raptor 350. Get the real deal. The YFZ450 is more race oriented and for general playing around isn't nearly as comfortable as the 700 Raptor. If I were getting another sport quad I would buy the Raptor. Nice ride and great power + it has reverse. If you are a woods / play rider get the 700, if you ride in the sand a lot get the 450.

YFZ. I love mine. Get a GYT-R jet kit, put in the 168 main, 45 pilot and adjustable needle and it will feel like a totally different quad.
Dont get a Blaster. The motors blow up like its going out of style and you will get bored with the power within a month.
Raptor 350s are nice but again, underpowered.
Raptor 700s are nice, but they are kinda heavy and Id prefer not to mess with EFI.
I do a lot of MX riding with my YFZ and its amazing how easy that quad is to jump. Ive had it for about 2 months and I can clear 60' jumps with ease.

Thanks for the responses everyone (even you Tom ;)! ) from what i've seen on various classifieds is a used 700 goes cheaper than the YFZ which really seem to hold there value. Haydays is next weekend maybe i'll find a good deal there :-o

I really like the Raptor, but I weigh in at about 230 so it fits me better, I rode my buddies 450 and I really felt uncomfortable ( to small) but there was plenty of power there, I would pick whatever is the best feeling quad if I was you

Decided on the Raptor got a good deal on an 07 SE will be picking it up this week ;)!

Update it is now in my garage ;)!

Attachments

• Raptor700.jpg
    Raptor700.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 621
The SE is a very sharp looking Raptor, i was drooling over one at my dealers on Tuesday. Had to replace a upper control arm, tie rod, and 2 ball joints. Apparently when you loop out at the top of third, some things like to be replaced. Nice choice on the quad though, that orange looks great on them. Those remote rezzy front shocks are sweet too, at least in Canada.

Just browsing through the manual man they don't want you to have any fun with these things LOL. No wheelies, :ORC This one seems to want to do them all the time, and who am i to say no! :-o :tg:

When it comes mod time, check out raptorforums.com, lotsa info there. Pipe, controler, and intake combined with a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket makes the 700 a rocket. Have fun.

Back