• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whats The Honest Difference?

YamahaFreak1299

Veteran
I have the opportunity to buy a 08 Nytro RTX at a decent price. The dilemma that I have is that I read all these post on line about the 09's having the new front end geometry, but I want to know is how much of a difference is it handling wise from a stock 08 to a stock 09 Nytro? Is it huge difference like night and day between the two years? Has anyone rode each year completely stock? Whatever year I end up getting I will for sure put on aftermarket skis and toe out the skis a quarter inch on each side as I read that doing this helps out tremendously.

Whats Better? Cheaper 08? or More Expensive 09?

Also, can the 08 Subframe be strengthed in the same ways that 09 subframes have been(using homemade plates and brackets)?

Good luck getting a straight answer. If you do a search the handling questiont has been asked many times (including some posts by me) and you basically get mixed reviews. Some guys swear by it and others who bought new '09 or '10 sleds still complain their Nytro is twitchy.

From what I've researched and have been told, the '09 changes didn't make a dramatic enough of a difference to make the Nytro as stable as the other three OEM's sleds.

The Nytro was designed on the sno-x course which doesn't make it completely friendly to XC racing or trail riding. If I were you I'd just save your money and buy an '08. The subframe issues are completely overblown and damage is the result from impacts rather than some design problem. The '09 subframes are reinforced over the 08's but they still bend. Supposedly the '10 front ends were even stronger, but I don't know for certain whether that is true or not. You can weld in plates to reinforce your subframe but you will be taking the chance of moving the weak link to a more expensive part of your chassis. IMO the stock a-arms are much more prone to bending than the subframe is.

I have an 08 RTX and love the sled...yeah it's a bit quirky at times but not as bad as people say. I put C&A's on it and have the floats at 50 psi...I may pull the limiter one hole this season....but other than that it's fine. I was able to ride a 2010 std Nytro at the end of last season that had a set of prototype skis on it ( Split Rails with duel keels )and didn't really notice any major differences in handling other than it had a bit more body roll going into corners..( std shocks vs stiffer floats? )

I have an 09 RTX SE. I just got a good deal on it. However, to be honest, I would not have an issue with getting an 08. If you do get an 08, I would recommend a shock revalving, machine the ball joints and a good set of skis. After that, I think you'll be good to go.

I have riden both the 08 and own the 09 rtx se. I use Woody's 6 in dooleys and it works great. It seems to get rid of the darting.

I had a 2008 RTX and it handled great, maybe too good. It was a handful, but if you are an agressive rider you will probably love it. The harder you pushed it the better it was. If you go with the 2008 do the ball joint mod as it does help the darting a lot. C&A razors help the darting too, but increase steering effort more than is already there. The best mod I did was have the floats revalved.

I switched to 2010 standard Nytro and it is less of a handful, easier to ride casually and doesn't beat you up quite as bad. But again, if you ride agressive the 2008 RTX would probably be better.

I used to have a 08 Nytro RTX and I fliped the rubbers under the ski's and swapped the spacers on the ski mount bolt to gain a little wider stance seemed to calm down the front end a bit. I think new ski's is the ultimate answer to correct the aggressiveness of it though. As mentioned above this has been covered extensivly and what I'm telling you is only my opinion, but DO NOT be afraid of the 08 Nytro RTX!! It is one of the most awesome sleds I have ever owned (and I've had many). Good Luck with your choice. Bored

1050THMPR said:
I used to have a 08 Nytro RTX and I fliped the rubbers under the ski's and swapped the spacers on the ski mount bolt to gain a little wider stance seemed to calm down the front end a bit. I think new ski's is the ultimate answer to correct the aggressiveness of it though. As mentioned above this has been covered extensivly and what I'm telling you is only my opinion, but DO NOT be afraid of the 08 Nytro RTX!! It is one of the most awesome sleds I have ever owned (and I've had many). Good Luck with your choice. Bored

Dude, you need to get another sled!!!

I have two Cat's at the moment, but I find myself on here just to keep in the loop as to whats going on in the YAMI world. You never know what might show up in my crystal ball. If I was to put together any sled of chioce for the 2010-2011 season, I will say this! It would be a 4stroke and it would have a 144". And I know someone in Meno S.D. that could hook me up. STAGE 3 NYTRO????? :Rockon:

YamahaFreak1299 - please add your location to your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management Team

Back