• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

when are we going to see the carbon fiber sleds.

What if they make a sled but just larger - say 2wice the size , but not too large and hog the trail -looks like a modern machine with big suspension like a SXS to handle large bumps ! Yes it will be heavy , so is a SXS . Or a sit type machine with a belt , steering wheel etc have track and skis, and have carbon fiber - change ( The Snowmobile ) up a little . Idk maybe I’m getting crazy with it , yes the price would be $$$$$ , but so is a SXS ...I think it would be fun .

Another thought I don't see mentioned above: what's the repair cost of aluminum vs. carbon after an encounter with a tree, trailer, buddy, etc, etc..... my guess is mucho dinero....
Given the amount of disassembly required to change the oil filter on a Phazer I doubt cost to repair is much of a factor in design decisions.
Once you've bought it they have you by the short and curlies.

Doing carbon fiber repairs is pretty easy as long as you have access to the heat pads and vaccum machines and such.....

What if they make a sled but just larger - say 2wice the size , but not too large and hog the trail -looks like a modern machine with big suspension like a SXS to handle large bumps ! Yes it will be heavy , so is a SXS . Or a sit type machine with a belt , steering wheel etc have track and skis, and have carbon fiber - change ( The Snowmobile ) up a little . Idk maybe I’m getting crazy with it , yes the price would be $$$$$ , but so is a SXS ...I think it would be fun .
ski doo elite....

I think this was done very well the first time but not enough excitement and utility with the vehicle

Like others I just don’t think sleds will ever have the numbers or price tolerance to go to Carbon fiber chassis and be profitable. I wonder what the % of true performance versus recreational riders that wouldn’t spend significant money to get a significantly lighter sled IF reliability was equal

Last edited:
I thought Polaris is using carbon fiber frame parts on some of their sleds.

Yamaha is joined at the hip with Textron and I don’t think that will change for several years so look to the procross chassis for anything new. The ship has sailed for a pure Japanese snowmobile not going to happen in near or distance future.

Sled can’t get much more expensive. I hate to say it but I’ll never spend 18k for something I might get to ride 10 times a year. If they can perfect there Plastic/ with carbon and be able to mold it cheaply into anything hopefully it will drive the price down . They need full function sleds at 10 k not 20 . The aftermarket made an all plastic rear suspension and it was one of the best ! Now we just need Yamaha to make the plastics cheaper and better I’m still hopeful for a 120hp 4 stroke 25 mpg sled that is light and will last . But I would take the old Viper 2 Stroke in a modular plastic sled any day I know they’ve been testing parts in their Motorcycle division. Let’s hope the sleds are next . And Yamaha buy that AD Boivin rear suspension patent and make it better!!
18 thousand isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Besides, most buyers don't look at the total price. They ask 'how much per month?'

Yamaha may be a Japan-based company, but most of what they sell world-wide isn't built in Japan anymore if you look across all product lines.

Yamaha is joined at the hip with Textron and I don’t think that will change for several years so look to the procross chassis for anything new. The ship has sailed for a pure Japanese snowmobile not going to happen in near or distance future.
Yamaha at any time "Maybe sooner then you think" could cut the strings with Textron, your most likely to see Textron do the cutting first though with their history, Yamaha has lots of room in their Georgie plant for a assembly line for their new Pure Yamaha snowmobile Chassis line up....

Yamaha at any time "Maybe sooner then you think" could cut the strings with Textron, your most likely to see Textron do the cutting first though with their history, Yamaha has lots of room in their Georgie plant for a assembly line for their new Pure Yamaha snowmobile Chassis line up....
Highly doubt any separation will be in the near future. Procross not going anywhere soon TRF plant will be making sleds for a long time.

So when does the ski doo patent expire for the chassis?

Yeah right!
How about Yamaha just making their own sleds again, so we could say I have a Yamaha sled, instead of the truth, a CAT sled with Yamaha motor and clutches, thus the real name which I call mine, My Yamacat! Meow...

18 thousand isn't exactly a lot of money these days. Besides, most buyers don't look at the total price. They ask 'how much per month?'
At first I thought YES 18k is A LOT then I realized a new f150 Lariat would take > 3x that much so as much as I don’t like it........relatively it ‘not that much but still HURTS to even think that.

Back