• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

When will they wake up? 2014 hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the article I read a year or so ago and thought it was on his website. I checked and didn't see it there today.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/174367 ... 4-strokes/

It's a wealth of information pretaining to high performance dirt bike motors. Their light weight design and high power to CC ratios come at a high price IMO. I do like the street bike based approach Yamaha has taken with their sled motors.

A buddy of mine converted a CR450F to be street legal (never did end up using it much) but people told him with street use the motor would not last long, they are not made to see that kind of hours a street bike would see.

that being said the phazer is just like a dirt bike motor and it lasts a long time...

AKrider said:
yamaha1973 said:
Actually its more like 2 YZF 250 motors, dont know about compromised reliability but it sure is a fun power plant!

From a marketing perspective only. This motor was discussed at length back when the Phazer first came out and it shares its design from the RX-1 engine. But, from a marketing point of view, how many Phazers are you going to sell saying it uses half of a RX-1 ton motor?

That brings me back around to MX bike technology. The service intervals for a modern 4-stroke MX bike are very 2-stroke like. You should be replacing not only the piston/rings every X number of hours but also the valves and cam chain. Some engines are worse than others (believe it or not Honda). One article I read by Eric Gorr said the Honda head was disposible!

So whats wrong with the RX-1 engine its pretty much in every 2, 4 and 3 cylinder 4 stroke Yamaha has put out in sleds since they came out in 2003? We know its a heavy powerful engine with great mileage and only uses 3 quarts of oil a year on a single change some without changing the filter for two years. No stink and yea I will say it again no stinky clothes. Oh yea and another thing its very hard to burn down a four stroke which is why they dont grenade like a two stroke is destined to do.

2 stroke with a wet crank case isn't that easy. First of all they NEED a positive displacement supercharger to force the air into the engine since you can't use the downward movement of the piston to do so. And the usually require cam operated valves on the exhaust side to keep the supercharger from blowing the fuel/air mixture out the other side. Not really a simple OR light motor anymore.

in white

Attachments

• 555313_10151628537007892_50973055_n.jpg
    555313_10151628537007892_50973055_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 147
Sled Dog said:
So whats wrong with the RX-1 engine its pretty much in every 2, 4 and 3 cylinder 4 stroke Yamaha has put out in sleds since they came out in 2003? We know its a heavy powerful engine with great mileage and only uses 3 quarts of oil a year on a single change some without changing the filter for two years. No stink and yea I will say it again no stinky clothes. Oh yea and another thing its very hard to burn down a four stroke which is why they dont grenade like a two stroke is destined to do.

Nothing. I've explained that the Phazer engine is not two YZ250F motors stuck together and using dirt bike technology would not be a good idea to lose weight in a sled motor.

AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:

Nothing. I've explained that the Phazer engine is not two YZ250F motors stuck together and using dirt bike technology would not be a good idea to lose weight in a sled motor.

Actually the Genesis 80FI Phazer engine is based on two YZ250F engines stuck together.

AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:

Oh I was asking about this statement you posted. How many Phazers are you going to sell saying it uses half of a RX-1 ton motor? That implies that the motor is not very good does it not?

The Phazer engine does not have much in common with a yzf 250 engine. The YZF crank has ballbearings and we should be glad that the Phazer engine does not.
Actually it has more in common with a newer r1 engine. Newer than the one the rx1 is based on.

Sled Dog said:
AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:

Oh I was asking about this statement you posted. How many Phazers are you going to sell saying it uses half of a RX-1 ton motor? That implies that the motor is not very good does it not?

No. In marketing they would not want to draw any similarities to the RX-1 which everyone blasted for being way too heavy and their new at the time Phazer that was supposed to be super light.

AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:
AKrider said:
Sled Dog said:

No. In marketing they would not want to draw any similarities to the RX-1 which everyone blasted for being way too heavy and their new at the time Phazer that was supposed to be super light.
It was super light.It was the lightest liquid cooled sled of 2007.We may look down upon it now but at least yamaha was serious about weight reduction at that point in time(hope the future is lighter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back