• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where to start? Building a turbo drag sled?

tjc

Expert
I am interseted in building a turbo yamaha (want to try something new I have always had ski doo).

I have read a lot of stuff on here and I'm thinking a RX-1 would be a good start. I just want to get my feet wet and start around 250 hp range. I don't want to break the bank right now. I also want something that can be built up when I am ready for more power.

It looks like i'm looking at aroud $4,000 for an RX-1 in good shape and around $6,000 for the turbo kit. It looks like a front mount would be best for my application.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

Thanks

If your building it yourself, you have a choice of any turbo kits, they are all good (reliability is more an install issue as opposed to mechanical failure)
If your having a shop do it , pick a reputable one that does turbo installs and is close to you and will answer your questions (more important than price)
FIRST AND FOREMOST, do your homework on this site, it is the best info you can get for free.
Good Luck ;)!

Your money & worries ahead to buy a used turbo sled. A lot of guys build em & realize they are over their heads. Some great deals on used pre-turboed rx-1,s. You can buy one for 1/2 the money to build one.

I can tell you now if thats all your gonna invest you should go for a used turbo sled already built. when i got mine done last year i was very surprised how much it cost the price of the kit is one thing but its all the other stuff that cost big dollars also one is labour if your not doing the install yourself also the motor work is big $ and it needs to be done. It seemed like i was all last winter waiting for parts as soon as i get one thing i'd findout something else i need. The biggest problem i had was with my location nobody around here knows much about the sleds if i could of brought it to a shop thats used to building them and had it all done at once it would of solved a lot of $ and downtime. One things forsure the next build i do i will have a better idea seeing i learned so much from this site :rocks:

I wanted to see if I was in the ballpark with my budget, I would like to do a lot of the work myself that way if it fails I know something about it. No doubt though this site has a lot of good info.

I'm in NH and race mostly 660' with some 1000' runs on ice.

How do the turbos perform on the grass?

tjc said:
I wanted to see if I was in the ballpark with my budget, I would like to do a lot of the work myself that way if it fails I know something about it. No doubt though this site has a lot of good info.

I'm in NH and race mostly 660' with some 1000' runs on ice.

How do the turbos perform on the grass?

Being from NH and considering what you want to do....I'd call Ted Jannetty first, and then last. He's just in Waterbury CT, so he's close if you ever need to bring the sled there or get parts fast!
Try and find a front mount already built and work from there. Like Turk said, too many guys buy them and find they're in way over their head. They chase their tails trying to get them to run. You need a seasoned vet especially if you're building a drag sled. Ted is THAT guy.
Ted's links are below.
If I were new and doing it again, I'd spend a solid week on THIS SITE!
Buy the sled at the end of the season and build it over the summer. You'll need the time. Believe me!
My .02
OTIS

our turbo kits and engine work speak for its self, from clutching to STANDALONE EFI w/COP or TUBE chassis we are the innovators, what ever your needs are . We are drag racer's and can help.

tjc said:
I am interseted in building a turbo yamaha (want to try something new I have always had ski doo).

I have read a lot of stuff on here and I'm thinking a RX-1 would be a good start. I just want to get my feet wet and start around 250 hp range. I don't want to break the bank right now. I also want something that can be built up when I am ready for more power.

It looks like i'm looking at aroud $4,000 for an RX-1 in good shape and around $6,000 for the turbo kit. It looks like a front mount would be best for my application.

Any suggestions? Any advice?

Thanks

Givne your location, I'd encourage you to start up a dialog with Ted on your specific needs. He has excellent customer service, and knows what he is doing.

The advice to buy a 'turn key' sled is what I would suggest as well. That said, all used turbos are not created equal. If you happen upon one that has been running on the ragged edge of the boost/octane line, I would expect that it is likely down on compression, has egg-shaped bores and will be coming apart soon one way or another. A leak-down test is mandatory in my opinion if you're buying used.

Matt's Apex is a beautiful sled, and he is meticulous about his stuff. For the price he's asking, I'd suggest you give it a close look.

Being new I would like to build the sled myself (or at least have some part in the build), maybe Im thinking about this wrong but that way if anything fails I have an idea as to what to fix or look for. I know it will take longer but that is my idea right now.

I have been in contact with Ted he is a nice guy. Thanks for the help. Any advice or offers are welcome.

tjc said:
Being new I would like to build the sled myself (or at least have some part in the build), maybe Im thinking about this wrong but that way if anything fails I have an idea as to what to fix or look for. I know it will take longer but that is my idea right now.

I have been in contact with Ted he is a nice guy. Thanks for the help. Any advice or offers are welcome.

That's the way to do it! The more "you" actually do and know about the sled the better off you'll be. Ted will work with you all the way and will let you learn in the process by making you think!

Given what your goals are, buying a Used sled that is already turbocharged may not be such a good deal, it would be geared more toward trail riding, and you will find yourself replacing a lot of the parts that make up the turbo kit, Like, header, turbo, intercooler, charge pipes, exhaust, jetting, clutching, gearing, track, drivers, studs, skis, shocks, suspension.

so all your left with is an RX1, a fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulator and maybe some guages.

Plus like suggested above your chances of buying a sled with a turbo and a hurt motor are pretty high.

Find a clean Stock unmolested RX1 04-05 model and I will help you build it from the ground up ONCE with 4 second potential.

i would strongly suggest working with ted jannetty.i always put customer service as a big priority when i build/buy stuff.we are lucky to have someone with his knowledge so close to us.sometimes i send him so many emails i feel i'm being a pain in the a-- but he always answers them and that is why i buy from him.he will steer you in the right direction with your project.i would try to find a used turbo sled,thats what i did.good luck with your build

Back