• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Where's the gas going?

mtotguy

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Rush 800, 2014 Viper RTX, 1983 Excel 3
When filling my tank the gas gets all the way up to the filler neck and I'll stop. After a few seconds the gas goes down a couple inches and I can add a little more. This can go on and on. I finally just give up and go riding. Where's the gas going? I'm not seeing any on the ground or in the belly pan. My Nytro doesn't do this.

On the Apex Gas tank there is a breather hose if i continuously do this gas will eventually leak underneath onto the floor.

mtotguy said:
When filling my tank the gas gets all the way up to the filler neck and I'll stop. After a few seconds the gas goes down a couple inches and I can add a little more. This can go on and on. I finally just give up and go riding. Where's the gas going? I'm not seeing any on the ground or in the belly pan. My Nytro doesn't do this.

I too had noticed this when filling up on the trailer, keep topping it off. Got to my destination a couple of times and can smell gas with a 'lil wet puddle underneath it.
Now when it gets to the top 1st time, it's basically full... Less time and $ @ the pump LOL.

Vent hose or such causing the spillage?

The filler neck keeps an air gap at the top for expansion and so it does not just keep spilling out the vent when traveling.

I keep pumping it if I know I will use it right away but if I will be trailering it I wont go past the bottom of the neck.

Basically besides thicker walls on the 08+ tank, Yamaha installed that white plastic piece to make the EPA happy. Even though the 07' tank is rated for a 1 gallon more it actually only holds about 1/4 gallon more as you could fill that one right to the top JUST like you can the 08+ tank if you pull that white plastic liner out of the tank when you fuel it up.

Ditto. Both my 07's have them. I did "burp" the MP quite a bit once and could smell gas while riding. Won't do that so much again.

how long is the white tube on the 07'? Both used ones I looked at before I bought my new 09' didn't have the white sleeve. On my 09' it sticks down a good 2-2.5" below the bottom of the neck and with it pulled out I can get close to 3/4 gallon more gas in it.

That sounds about right as far as length. I'd be careful overfilling it as per my, and others experiences, losing fuel through the overflow.

Back