• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which belt is the best for asphalt drags 1/4 mile?

People have told me to run the older belt like for the 600vmax or the gates ultimax2 138-4432. Says they are softer and grip better and dont generate as much heat. any truth to this?

not if your cluching is right! you should have little or no heat in the cluches. i can run the 1/4 mile, after the run i can put my hand on the cluches without burning my hands.
________
Lolol

Magic is right, little heat as possible. I run the 1/4, and my clutch temps are 94°-110°. I use the stock belts, as they last for me. I tried the ultimax, and it only lasted 7 runs.

The 8DN belt will shift faster than any other belt available, whether it's another Yamaha belt or an aftermarket belt. If you measure your clutch temps at all after a good run when the clutching is right both clutches should be less than 90*!! :Rockon:

Also an easier way to break in a belt with less runs is to first take a CLEAN wire brush and scuff the sides of the belt & then wash it in warm soapy water and rinse it off. This will cut your belt breakin time to pretty much 1 pass.

I havent measured the temps but sometimes the clutches were almost too hot to touch. This is all on my 98 xtc700 stock with powerinc pipes and was running 11.5sec at 107mph last year. Since then I had porting work done and had the heads milled and rechambered to run race gas (i'll use "trick" racing fuel 114 octane). Havent had a chance to test yet as we were rained out. Hopefully we'll get to race this memorial day weekend. I guess I will continue to use yamaha belts tho. Thanks

Yaminak, if interested, I have a 68 link chain, a bottom gear, and two top gears that I used on my 98 XTC. When I bought the RX-1, I sold the XTC but put stock gears and chain back on before selling. I would have to check exact size of gears but do know the top and bottom gears are smaller than the stock ones. These gears may not be applicable for your use but thought I would check. It really woke the sled up making it very quick out of the hole; especially with the Max Perf Quick rods. :Rockon:

I will check tonight and let you know.

yaminak,

The bottom gear is a 39 and the two top gears are 20 and 21. I believe the stock gearing for the XTC was a 23 on top and 40 on bottom and the for the XTCD (Deluxe model), it was 22 on top and 39 on bottom. When I re-geared my XTC, I initally only wanted to drop two teeth on top and tried the 21 gear with the existing 40 bottom gear but I felt there was too much slack in the stock 70 link chain even though Max Performance stated I did not need to use the 68 link chain with this gear ratio. I ended up getting the 68 link chain and because so, I decided to take advantage of the smaller chain and drop the gearing even further. I ended up dropping two teeth on top and one tooth on the bottom referencing the XTCD gear ratio; hence the 20 on top and 39 on bottom. I had friends with a Mach-Z and Mach-I that were quick out of the hole but after adding the quick rods and re-gearing the XTC, they were amazed at the holeshot I was getting on them. :shock:

For the best grip you have to use the 8CH-17641-00 belt (original on the `97 SX 700, before the clutch uppdating)
Its softer than the 8DN, but gives a mutch better grip for the clutches, just give it a try :Rockon:

The 8dn belt will give you the quickest et. The 4432 will give you the most consistent performance. Buy a lot of 8dn,s & swap em out after every run!!!!

Stock 98 700xtc belt ... 8DN ribbed belt
600 belt ..................... 89L non ribbed
97 sx 700 belt ............ 8CH ???
Ultimax2 138-4432 non ribbed ???
I have the 8DN and an old 89L but not the other two.
Most say to use the 8DN and am now confused.
Some say to use the 89L cuz it is softer and will slip less but it is also shorter, I think this will cause the sled to creep forward. Dont
know about the other two.

Back