• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which Carbide On Mohawk Skis

markt111

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
all Yamahas
what are you guys with the Mohawks running for carbides?

I'm running the recommended 35-126 (4") and not impressed, the skis are great in snow, any ice and they just slide across

Last edited:

slp 6" on my xtx se, have the skid mounted in rear holes of saddle. seeme to be working good so far but I will admit I have limited riding time on the mohawks

I'm in the rear holes too, they strongly recommended the 4" carbide when I bought the skis. I'm thinking of the Bergstrom Triple Points as an upgrade

I have the Mohawks on my 2016 XTX, and I put 8" Bergstrom triple points on them when they were new. They held the trail like a freight train on rails, but I got really tired of the steering effort required to ride the sled. Even though I shimmed the skis, the darting was sometimes annoying, depending upon trail conditions. I changed over to the SLP 4" carbides with the keel blades, and the skis still held the trail, but stopped darting altogether. I recently put Bill Mohr's spring on the sled, and dialed it in with enough preload to lighten the steering, but to still give me enough ski pressure to hold in the corners. With the uncoupled suspension, I do have to ride the corners differently than I do with my LTX and a coupled suspension. In fairness to the Bergstroms, I replaced them before I installed the new spring, so I am not sure how they would have worked with decreased ski pressure.

I have no issues turning on ice and tar with the 6". If your happy with them in the trail then your setup is probably good and getting a little more carbide on the ground should do the trick. Keep in mind the slp 4" carbides are 75 degree so there not very aggressive, the 6" and larger are 60 degree and offer a little more bite. Ive never been a fan of bergstrom. Ive tried the triple points and aside from wearing well I didnt feel any difference worth the money. I prefer the slp brand carbides on there skis in case of the rare event you rip off a carbide you wont lose your ski because of the built in shoulder on the bottom of the mounting stud.

I have no issues turning (not difficult) with the Mohawks and bergstrom 8" triple points but I did already have my front spring in the skid turned up a bit to take some weight off the skis. So happy with my ski setup.

I spoke to SLP this morning, they said to try moving the skis back (using forward holes) this will put more pressure on the carbides, I will take a close look when I get home as to where the carbide sits vs where the skis mount...

Last edited:
I have the stx dx 146 which is coupled. Just got the Mohawks this season. They came with 6”. With adjustments to limiter strap, transfer blocks and center shock spring I got close where anything above 60mph the darting went away. Below that it’s was too much and a little unpredictable at times. But cornering and floatation was good. I was getting the teetering effect Bill talks about with his spring. But I also changed the skid shocks over to fox 2.0 RC2 this year and the center spring is a lot stiffer than the factory shock spring. They also have low and high speed damping so I’m also getting great ride with excellent bottoming protection. From factory they are way too stiff for my weight so I just had them re-valved yesterday. They are now perfect so that problem is fixed. I threw the tuners back on to see the difference. I had shapers 7” on the outside and regular 6” on the inside. I was actually shocked how well it held the trail with almost zero darting. But they are just a trail ski at best. I wanted a crossover ski. I talked to SLP yesterday also and they recommended going with the 6” with the keel blade. Part number 35-123 for the runner and 35-121 for the keel blade. You will have to cut off the front mound stud from the runner to fit they said. But this is actually making sense to me because it’s a similar concept to the snow trackers in a much smaller design. I ordered them yesterday and will post the results.

Being that Woody's makes the carbides for SLP mohawk skis it would be nice if they made the doolies for these skis also.

Got em in. I opted to cut the stud off the keel plate and drill a hole so they fit on the runner instead. Think it would be safer way to do this. I’m gonna install on the sled this week and see how they work.

Attachments

• 71696D2B-C0A1-46F8-957E-D21D6820B615.jpeg
    71696D2B-C0A1-46F8-957E-D21D6820B615.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 208
  • D6405011-9A3B-4275-8CF2-D32C081F7B78.jpeg
    D6405011-9A3B-4275-8CF2-D32C081F7B78.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 205
Got em in. I opted to cut the stud off the keel plate and drill a hole so they fit on the runner instead. Think it would be safer way to do this. I’m gonna install on the sled this week and see how they work.
I have a set and they work pretty good. I agree with your mounting method and I think mounting them like that you could make them work on different skis as well. They bolt right up to my yamaha mtn skis that came on my 2020 xtx se when mounted this way. Cheap mod for sure

Back