• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which fullly synthetic oil to use?

Groomerdriver

TY 4 Stroke Master
Read this - http://www.ttalk.info/Zddp.htm

Sounds like there are certain oils one wants to stay away from. It would seem that the Amsoil 0W-40 Rec Vee product mentioned in the RS forum would be OK. Mobil 1 would not as well as any Valvoline product I could find. Redline was mentioned (they make Water Wetter) in the articlw and I've got an e-mail into them asking for their recommendation on a full syn oil for my sled. The Amsoil product is about the same price as the 4S Yamalube.

In the RS forum thread somebody said "Alot of guys run synthetic on this site with no issues". This doesn't mean it's the best thing for your engine. Everything is getting so technical nowadays it's hard to keep up with it all. Heck, even a tech at Mobil 1 (I called) recommended to NOT use their oils in 4S snowmobile motors. I run Mobil 1 in my vehicles and used Mobil 1 grease on everything I own, but I won't use Mobil 1 in my sled because they said not to.

Just trying to help us all, not start an "oil jihad!"

I'm going to try the Blue Marble 4-stroke formula. I've read allot of good things about the 2-stroke products, I also used the REV-ER-UP in my truck with decent results. It's the same price as the Yamalube 4S.

4Fighter said:
I'm going to try the Blue Marble 4-stroke formula. I've read allot of good things about the 2-stroke products, I also used the REV-ER-UP in my truck with decent results. It's the same price as the Yamalube 4S.

I only saw a 10-40 weight in their 4S oils. Do they have something thinner like 0W-30 or 0W40?

Ive been running Mobil-1 since the first oil change so far no problems, Uses a little oil but then so does my brothers new Apex. But I'm interested in what you guys recomend for oil.

:die ==================== :jump: =================== LaLaLa

That article is providing information about effect of modern day oils on the sloppy tolerance, low RPM, antique engines, made of completely different materials...likely with solid camshafts and lifters that create a huge amount of friction and have different wear characteristics, and likely run in only above-freezing temps...such as the engines found in early 1950's TFs and TD's, and it also references some problems with running modern oils in old MGs. There is also lengthy discussion of modern oils in the steering and transmission gear boxes of these antique cars.

The article doesn't mention Yamaha snowmobiles.

Our tight tolerance double overhead cam Yamaha snowmobile engines are of completely different construction and metal alloys, are 50 or 60 years newer, and consistently running over 10K RPMs in -20 degree weather...Obviously the oil requirements of these two types of vehicles would be completely different.

For those who are so consistently worried about finding a good oil that won't be harmful to your 4 stroke Yamaha snowmobile engines and have a fear that the other synthetics might not be totally perfect, just buy Yamaha's 4S oil as it will work just fine.

But if you're looking for a good oil to run in you antique british sports car, by all means you should read the article and consider the author's recommendations.

Oak Hill said:
All I can say is WOW! If you believe that article, I have some prime property for sale for you! Do not believe all that you read, buyer and reader beware.

Buyer/Reader beware - I agree with that philosophy.

I've also spent $20 on dumber things - I think we all do at one time or another. After having used Blue Marble products:

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... ght=marble

Read SUPERTUNERS' reply.

I am inclined to continue.

To each his own.

undecided said:
4Fighter said:

I only saw a 10-40 weight in their 4S oils. Do they have something thinner like 0W-30 or 0W40?

My sled is well broke-in, and out of warranty so I'm not worried about it.

There is a myriad of oils and viscosities that people are running in their Yamahas already. I'm more concerned about not having oil.

I'm fairly certain that most, if not all, of this concern comes from the desire to find that added, "edge" on the snow. Either that or finding something that is just as good as YL 4S, is common, and widely available should the need to top-off arise. Otherwise, there are no other reasons to run anything other than what it came with, is there?

My reason: performance and maybe some reduced oil consumption - whether or not Yamaha declares an acceptible rate. :dead:

Oak Hill said:
All I can say is WOW! If you believe that article, I have some prime property for sale for you! Do not believe all that you read, buyer and reader beware.

You're a:

Clutch expert
Suspension expert
Seat expert
Overall sled expert

Now you're an oil expert? #$%&*

Just calling a spade a spade.

undecided said:
Oak Hill said:

You're a:

Clutch expert
Suspension expert
Seat expert
Overall sled expert

Now you're an oil expert? #$%&*

Just calling a spade a spade.

Ummm...I think we all "THINK" we are too - LOL.

Back