• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which manufacturer ......``

Going a little retro here, but I say the best two stroke engine by my experience was the Polaris Indy 500 (488) liquid engine. I put 18,000 high performance miles on it with one refresh at 14,000. I only did a refresh as preventative maintenance.

The next best engine was the Yamaha 700 triple (3 in 1). Bullet proof. No idea who makes a good two stroke these days because I don't pay attention to them any more. What I do know is that it is not the etec engine. I have had nothing but problems with that.

Buddy of mine has a '01 Polaris with a 600 VES engine in it. Re-ringed it at 6,500miles and it keeps on going strong. He rides hard and I keep on waiting for the thing to pop soon, currently has 9,700 miles on it with ring replacement only.

By far the older Polaris Fuji 500 motors, you had to try to blow one of them up!

Not too sure on the newer stuff though.

Put 18,000 on my old Indy Trail (488 fan)
Put 15,000 on my old Indy 500 (488 liquid)

yamaha 600SXR

24000kms...all original..still going..never babied either!
I doubt any other manufacturer can compete with that tripple.
My engine still looks amazingley clean almost new like!
I look at N American engines with 4000k on them and they look like crap.
Yamaha should rework this motor like BRP but ensure it wont blow like them!

I think he's asking about current sleds here.

1. For Yamaha you can still get 2 strokes in the Viking and the Bravo, at least for now. Not and 600 or 800 class engines tho in 2 stroke offered, but both are remarkably reliable.

2. Arctic Cat: Are still Suzuki motors for the next few years and IMHO the best quality 2 stroke motors out there in the 600 and 800 classes right now. AC's reliabilty issues are not their motors. Suzuki makes top notch engines. they are also very powerful and can be modded heavily. Made in Japan. In the next few years AC will start producing all of their own engines and I expect quality will drop. Also are gas hogs in current form.

3. Polaris: Make their engines domestically, a definite plus. The 600 Cleanfire I've heard is very nice and reliable. Only so-so on fuel economy is the reports.

The 800 Cleanfire has been plagued with issues for the last few years. Burn downs in the 800. Especially the 2008 and 2009's. I believe 2009 even had a recall. Polaris claims to have fixed this this year, but who knows...... I wouldn't recommend going there. You wanna be a guinea pig? Me either.

4. BRP/ Ski Doo: The older 800R (still available) has had crank and burn down issues for years -- I'd stay away from it. But when it was running was powerful. Heavy gas uasage and moderate oil usage.

The older 600 motor was good however. Powerful and pretty good on oil and gas usage.

For the etecs, reliabily has been BRP's issue. There is a reason they are nicknamed "grenades."

I wouldn't expect more than 2,000 - 3,000 miles out of either a 600 or 800 etec engine without a major overhaul, or worse yet, a whole motor replacement. The failure rate on etec motors is very high. This is BRP's dirty little secret. I know guys whose season has ended in January and February while waiting for a fully warranteed, but back ordered etec motor. Of course the motors arrive and all is fixed by April. Thx BRP.....

But the etecs are powerful, use hardly any oil, and are good on gas. (How do they cool themselves again? Oh yea -- magically). If they gain some reliabilty they will be the 2 stroke motor sent from the gods. I'd recommend they no longer lubricate their cranks with a sealed bearing like current form does to start......

just my humble thoughts which are sure to stoke the passions of others....

600 2 strokes

all good points
I could never understand why these Suzuki sled motors blow up? Their bikes are very reliable.
I ride with three Cat die hards since early 70's...they just expect them to blow and don't think it is unusual. they are all happy to rebuild at 5000k!
I actually know someone who worked at and built AC sleds...I will say no more.
My 01 600 SXR is completely stock never touched other than a new track and 4 belts..forgot to mention new leads.
It owes me absolutely nothing..
I had only been started and run it twice this season...I needed it last weekend after my Nytro shock nightmare..the old machine ran like a dream...actually I was amazed at how much power it had...just difficult to adjust back to after two seasons on the XTX as it is so comfortable sitting and or standing.

Agree with phazer-boy, I've had two AC with Suzuki's. Neither one of them gave me a second of problems. They used a little more fuel and oil than the others and were not the nicest looking sleds on the trail, but they went like stink. Sold them once they got to about 5000miles so can't speak of longevity after that. Was going to buy another one but they discontinued the 700 to help the average fuel consumption of the brand.

The only other 2 strokes I have had were a John Deer and the wife 2006 MXZ 500ss. That thing was a good sled a fast. I like it a lot never had an issue with it. Would still have it if the wife did introduce it to a tree.

Yamaha 485 fan and Polaris 488 fan engine, I've seen several well over the 15,000 mile mark without an over haul, My Phazer II has just over 13,000 on it now and still has good compression. For current motors, I'd have to say ARCTIC CAT, Which is odd because the use to be the worse IMO only 10-15 years ago. I know of WAY too many blown Etec to consider them reliable at all, and a few bad CFI 800 Poos Too.

Super Sled said:
I think he's asking about current sleds here.

1. For Yamaha you can still get 2 strokes in the Viking and the Bravo, at least for now. Not in the 600 or 800 class engines tho in 2 stroke offered, but both are remarkably reliable.

2. Arctic Cat: Are still Suzuki motors for the next few years and IMHO the best quality 2 stroke sled motors out there in the 600 and 800 classes right now. AC's reliabilty issues are not their motors, which are bulletproof. Suzuki makes top notch engines -- they are also very powerful and can be modded heavily.

Obviously they are made in Japan, which means quality but is bad for America's trade deficit. But this will change in the next few years as Arctic Cat will start producing all of their own engines in St. Cloud, MN. When they do this, I expect engine quality will drop for them as Arctic Cat has minimal experience building their own sled motors. Arctic Cat motors are also are gas and oil hogs in current form.

3. Polaris: Make their engines domestically, a definite plus. The 600 Cleanfire I've heard is very nice and reliable. Only so-so on fuel and oil economy is the reports.

But the 800 Cleanfire has been plagued with issues for the last few years. Burn downs in the 800. Especially the 2008 and 2009's. I believe 2009 even had a recall. Polaris claims to have fixed this this year, but who knows...... I wouldn't recommend going there. You wanna be a guinea pig? Me either.

4. BRP/ Ski Doo: The older 800R (still available) has had crank and burn down issues for years -- I'd stay away from it. But when it was running was powerful. Heavy gas uasage and moderate oil usage.

The older 600 motor was good however. Powerful and pretty good on oil and gas usage.

For the etecs, reliabily has been BRP's issue. There is a reason they are nicknamed "grenades."

I wouldn't expect more than 2,000 - 3,000 miles out of either a 600 or 800 etec engine without a major overhaul, or worse yet, a whole motor replacement. The failure rate on etec motors is very high. This is BRP's dirty little secret. I know guys whose season has ended in January and February while waiting for a fully warranteed, but back ordered etec motor. Of course the motors arrive and all is fixed by April. Thx BRP.....

But the etecs are powerful, use hardly any oil, and are good on gas. (How do they cool themselves again? Oh yea -- magically). If they gain some reliabilty they will be the 2 stroke motor sent from the gods. For starters I'd recommend that BRP no longer lubricate their cranks with a sealed crank bearing, like current etecs have. I believe made in Australia (Rotax).....

These just my humble thoughts which are sure to stoke the passions of others. My rec if your in the market for a 2 stroke and want reliabilty is to go for the Cat.......

Back