• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which size carbides to go with?

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
After not being happy with my sled's handling last year I am going a different direction this season. I am looking for feedback on which size carbides to run with my new set up. 6" Shaper Bars of 7.5"?????

Last season-
Sly Dog Powder Hound skis w/6" Shaper Bars
Limiter strap tightened one hole
Weight transfer set to 2 marks above min
108 studs

This season-
Yamaha mountain ski shimmed
Pioneer 13mm sway bar
Limiter strap tightened one hole
Weight transfer set in the middle - to start -
108 studs

With last years set up I had push in the corners, heavy steering effot and lots of track spin but the sled was flat. I want the sled to turn and wont mind a little heavy steering if it does. That being said, I would like to keep the steering effort as low as possible so that is why I am asking the question on carbide length. Thanks, G.B.

Banks93 said:
I would go with snowtrackers and you won't regret it.

Banks, arent these for reducing darting? I have never had any real darting issues even with the stock skis. I have been using Shaper Bar carbides for years and really like them. I am just trying to see what length carbides people are using, especially if they have a 13mm Pioneer sway bar. Thanks, G.B.

All I can say is that when I put the the snowtrackers on my skis that my sled has had zero handling issues since. Rather than pay for carbides and skis it was a good way to make the crappy skis better IMHO. I would recommend them to anyone.

I have tried the Bergstroms and snowtrackers are a lot better fix for darting.

Anybody that has a Pioneer 13mm sway bar, what length carbides are you using? Thanks, G.B.

I hate heavy steering and these things have enough weight up front as it is. Sucking up the strap makes it worse. I leave my strap up at the first hole but use a lot of carbide and studs. 8" minimum carbides 144 studs. Just my preference.

This will be the fifth season that I've been wishing I didn't still have the suck-o stock skis tho LOL. I could do without the darting.

I have used 6" 60 degree carbides with bergstrom ski savers, works pretty well. Also have used bergstrom 6" triple points, also work well but you get what you pay for. If you are studded, you need at least a 6" 60 deg carbide, possibly longer if lots of studs. Still not completely happy with darting issues, so have installed snowtrackers for this year, no chance to test them as of yet however.

They are $205 at Royal Distributing in Canada. I do not beleive they are available in in the U.S. . They are on the Yamaha Canadian web-site but not on the U.S. web-site as well at a higher price.

on my 05 rx i was running 10" woodies on stocks ski's(had 13mm bar) ran loose front spring setting, stock limiter strap location, loose transfer rod with 168 studs. sled had some steer effort (after 200 mile day), but could turn on rails

700SCOTT said:
on my 05 rx i was running 10" woodies on stocks ski's(had 13mm bar) ran loose front spring setting, stock limiter strap location, loose transfer rod with 168 studs. sled had some steer effort (after 200 mile day), but could turn on rails

Thanks Scott. I decided to go with 7.5" Shaper bars on the Yamaha Mountain skis I picked up this summer. I also shimmed them with 1/4" shims. So I am hoping I can dial this thing in with the Pioneer 13 mm Stabilizer that I just got. I wont mind if it steers a bit heavy as long as it turns. G.B.

Back