• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which track to use?

chadman

Expert
I know that this question has been asked before but, I am thinking about going from a 121 on my 07 apex rtx to a 136 skid and I was wondering which track to use. I ride mostly groomed trails and alot of the time they are usually loose. This track will be studded. My choice would be the predator or the cobra. If I go with the cobra would there be any clearance issues with studs? Please tell me what the pros and cons are with these tracks. Thanks

Chad

Cobra will hook up like you won't beleive in loose groomed trail snow. I personally wouldn't even stud it. Shouldn't be any real clearance issues if you do though. Depends on what length stud you plan on running.

I don't see anything about a 1.25 predator in tracks usa and I have heard of guys ordering them and I heard that they decrease your top end.

The Cobra track is an awesome track but I couldn't keep hyfax's on my sled, so I went back to a Ripsaw. Track has great hook up in the corners and in loose snow didn't notice any top end difference, no clearence problem on my RTX. I dont know how it will be with a 136.

I have about 6,000 miles on my cobra. It is twice as good in loose snow and powder as the ripsaw but not as good on hardpack and I lost a little top end. As far as durability goes its about the same as my ripsaw. I do burn through hyfax faster with the cobra.

number1kyster said:
I have about 6,000 miles on my cobra. It is twice as good in loose snow and powder as the ripsaw but not as good on hardpack and I lost a little top end. As far as durability goes its about the same as my ripsaw. I do burn through hyfax faster with the cobra.

X2 on everything. As for the slides, just install a set of DOO wheels and you won;t have anymore HYfax issues.

number1kyster said:

THis is the first I heard about increased hyfax wear with the Cobra. I put one under my RTX this spring and look forward to comparing it to the stock Ripsaw. Changed hyfax as well, but sounds like I should get another pair before the snow flies. Wonder why the Cobra chews up sliders faster? Didn't think an extra 1/8" would make that much of a difference.

I haven't noticed any increased hyfax wear here either?

Regarding the traction, just check out the avatar. That's an unstuded 121" from a standing start in 30" or so of heavy spring snow. Judge for yourself... just keep in mind that's not a Yammi suspension. Prior to this day, there's no way on earth I dreamed this sled would do this. It's totally stock other than suspension mods.

Studs necessary for those that think they need them, not qoing to argue the point, only suggest you try this track out (or even a Ripsaw) before you stud. I think more and more are finding they can get away without them - even those that are used to them.

High miles here too, well over 5000, and no broken/missing paddles. I do cool it when in marginal conditions with it though. FWIW

I run a 1.5" x 136" Camo Intense. With 23/39 gears it will pull the fillings out of your head. Hyfax are fine. I opened up all my windows and fully clipped it with Doo drivers.

Back