• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wide Open Throttle after shifting out of reverse

Dhoyland1981

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro RTX
I have a 2008 Nytro RTX. After sitting through the off season I took it out and the throttle stuck open after shifting from reverse back to forward drive. The TORS took over and the limiter kicked in. After you shutting it off and letting it sit for a couple of minutes, I restarted it and it works fine. Rode 100 miles with no problems. The next morning I used reverse to take it out of the garage. Again the throttle stuck open and the same process reset it. I have another 100miles with no problem.

Looking for where to start on figuring out what would cause it? Any ideas?

Here is a guess ... you have a weird one here. If you were backing with the steering cranked TORS may have been set off by tension in the throttle cable. To test, just try reversing in a straight line.

Are you sure it actually stuck open, high revving, or was it just TORS that kicked in? Check that your throttle cable is working freely and that freeplay is within specs.

I did try backing in a straight line and it did not happen again. As far as just the TORS kicking in I'm not sure. I've never had this happen in the 5 years of owning the sled. I do know that when it happens the sled shoots out of the hole like a dragster with a line long transmission. The Rev limiter doesn't kick in until you stand on the brake. I have hit the kill switch both times. When I have powered the sled back up it throws an error and the engine warning flashes. Once it's off for a couple of minutes the code clears itself and the sled works normally.

It would be useful if you can get the error code. If the engine runs away on its own, then something is sticking. I'd go over the cable and throttle body itself thoroughly to make sure nothing is sticking,

Something I thought of is the throttle position sensor is giving false readings, making the ECU think it's at a higher position. Go into diagnostic mode and see if it's adjusted properly and is giving smooth and consistent readings.

Thank you for your help. It looks like a combination of everything listed. The throttle cable was being pulled when the handlebars were at full turn causing it to stick and the TORS to kick in. Backing straight or at a gradual rate prevents it from happening.

Back