• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will not start when its cold -17C

BenderSRX

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2013 Yamaha Nytro RTX
Hey guys this has been the third time now this Winter i try to start the sled and at first it starts to fire then just crank crank. I have tried with full choke and with with full throttle. At first i thought i was flooding the machine until i installed new plugs and the old ones were dry. I thought must be frozen. So i put the heat to it and with in 20 minutes she fired right up with no choke or anything and rthe temps overnight have been -20. Does anybody have a solutions to get the turbos started when is't really cold. Or any ideas what is getting frozen. Thanks

Left mine outside in -30 and its deader than a doornail. Just hauled it into the heated shop with the quad. They don't seem to like the cold.

Rx1M5

BenderSRX said:
Hey guys this has been the third time now this Winter i try to start the sled and at first it starts to fire then just crank crank. I have tried with full choke and with with full throttle. At first i thought i was flooding the machine until i installed new plugs and the old ones were dry. I thought must be frozen. So i put the heat to it and with in 20 minutes she fired right up with no choke or anything and rthe temps overnight have been -20. Does anybody have a solutions to get the turbos started when is't really cold. Or any ideas what is getting frozen. Thanks

Pilot jets may be too small, a lot of bender turbos had 15 pilots, stock was 17.5

fuel screws may be to tight.

Either one or both may not allow enough fuel for very cold starts.

The other possibility is Ice, you have water meth injection and it may be leaving moisture in the intercooler or carb throats that freezes up carbs.

Race gas is very hard to start in cold weather but from what I have read your running pump gas so Race gas is not the problem

Ted

i have to plug mine in ( i have a coolant heater hehehe) for at least 30 mins or it wont even think of cranking over, it just clicks

sometimes if i turn the primary a little bit to a different stroke then it helps if its been plugged in for 30 mins or so, otherwise about an hour and shes good to go

im still having other issues though too

water

my sled doing about the same thing i am going to try heating the carb tomorow to see if it will start i think i might have some water in the bowls that is freezing, if so i will put a bottle of HEAT in it. but i am using 50/50 sunco 110 and prem. gas wonder that making it harder to start

03turbo said:
i have to plug mine in ( i have a coolant heater hehehe) for at least 30 mins or it wont even think of cranking over, it just clicks

sometimes if i turn the primary a little bit to a different stroke then it helps if its been plugged in for 30 mins or so, otherwise about an hour and shes good to go

im still having other issues though too

That sounds more like a battery problem, you have a lot of extra equipment running off the electrical system, there is not enough power to run all that stuff and charge the battery properly.

all i have is the underglow and i havent been using it lately, i dont have a heated visor on it yet or anything

and we have charged the battery too, even when its at 100 percent it does the same thing until it warms up with the coolant heater

its only below about -15 or -20 that it does this though, otherwise the sled is fine

only problem is that its been -24 on average for the last 2 or 3 weeks here :o|

thats celsius too btw just to keep things clear

Here is my experience with a 50% mix of C16 ans pump gaz.

Rx1 blower:
Cold start at -10c, some cranking but always started.
Cold start at -20c, a lot of cranking, ans need full choke for quite a long time (much much longer than pump fuel only)

Cold start a -25c... was IMPOSSIBLE, no matter how much cranking, it would never fire... get her in heated garage.. 5 minutes later she started fine.

So race gas may be a factor.

So again... what gaz are you running?

EFI does about the same thing on my turbo apex and strait c16, its extremely hard to start below -20c

My 06 Apex S/C ,race fuel ,would not start below 0, crank like heck but not start.
Ended up putting a stick on oil pan heater on oil tank ,plug it in at night and no more issues,
Race fuel does not like to fire up in the cold
Bought heater on E-Bay for about 30.00 ;)!

03turbo said:
all i have is the underglow and i havent been using it lately, i dont have a heated visor on it yet or anything

and we have charged the battery too, even when its at 100 percent it does the same thing until it warms up with the coolant heater

its only below about -15 or -20 that it does this though, otherwise the sled is fine

only problem is that its been -24 on average for the last 2 or 3 weeks here :o|

thats celsius too btw just to keep things clear

You have an elelctric fuel pump, Electric oil pump, and a Meth pump all drawing on your electrical system.

You may just have a Weak Starter, that is an 03 right?

Ted.

Back