• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

woodys slim jims

apex#1

Veteran
i just bought my 08 apex gt two weeks ago and it awsome im now a true believer of a four stoke. the sled is a total package but the skis. there alot of good info on this site about ski mods and carbides but no slim jim talk. so here i go. As all carbides there easy to put on. farly costly at $70 for one (of course you need two) so now its about $120 before tax. Which isn't that bad considering a need pair of skis, and the big anwser zero darting, none, its like night and day
As for going around corners its like being on rails also it doesn't apper to have any top end drag or any drag at all. No effects going over train tracks or road either. All in all im very pleased with my purchace and would recommend slim jims to anyone looking for new carbides

For $30 more dollars you can get the triple carbides, shims, and ski savers from Scot Bergstrom and they will outlast the woodys. :Rockon:

Apex1,
A little light breaks the darkness. I've been saying forever that the stock skis are not really JUNK. Even with single carbides I thought they were good. I put Woodys Duellys on, and it improved them.

I've driven sleds with other skis, and didn't think they were any better.

The tripple carbides are just a single bar. Just because the name Berstrom is on them doesn't make them anything but a single bar. They might last longer, but common sense tells you they won't perform better.

My next carbides will be the slim jims. that is if the duellys ever wear out.

I to dont think the stock skis are junk, it all depends on the set up of the machine. The old factory scags are 4" the new slim jims are 6" and there are 4 carbides per pair. As far as comparison they are the same as simmons skis, and arrow skis at a fraction of the cost. Maybe sometime down the line i will buy new skis but just after spending over 12000 dollars on a new machine i can justify spending an extra 120 rather than 600 on new skis. I have never tried other carbides on my machine yet and as far as the slim jims i put on there is no point,
it exactly the way a top preformance machine should handle.

You mentioned you used the six inch slim jims, are you studded? I am thinking about getting a set for my Attak. My buddy has used the duallys and they work nice eliminating the darting all together but the negative is that they get hung up bad on railroad crossings and loading into trailers. My attak is not studded and I am using six inch single carbides right now.

no it not studded. A couple of times going around some tight corners the back end would fish tail though it would be nice to have some studs.

My buddy put a set on his crossfire.....we were riding in the u.p. and suddenly he was complaining his sled would turn to the right well...we stopped and looked...a rock had wedged itself into the U channel perfectly....seems like the U is too close together and stuff will get lodged in there often..

I just came back from a good ride, i didn't get a rock stuck in between the u shape but i did notice that snow does get pretty tight in there. It doesn't seem to effect the steering but i can see what you mean about the u channel being close together....

Attachments

• dsc00034.jpg
    dsc00034.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 94
1,100+ miles and I have not been able to get anything to stick in there either ...

I will go out and try again in the morning :~)

smacho said:
1,100+ miles and I have not been able to get anything to stick in there either ...

I will go out and try again in the morning :~)

good to know...guess that was his dumb luck :o|

so I take it you like them on the apex ;)!

Big Daddy SRX said:
You mentioned you used the six inch slim jims, are you studded? I am thinking about getting a set for my Attak. My buddy has used the duallys and they work nice eliminating the darting all together but the negative is that they get hung up bad on railroad crossings and loading into trailers. My attak is not studded and I am using six inch single carbides right now.

Every time I think I'll do something like get Dooleys someone say's something to turn me off about them... Bad on Raiload Xings aint good. I have lot's of them around here. I trailer too. :o|

ive got lots of railroad X'ings and roads i need to cross and not once has the slim jims held me up. Even on my concrete garage floor. Its acually easier to back out or drive in to the garage with them on as compared to the stock runners. Havent tried my trailer yet ill wait to the snow dissappers before ill trailer it any where

Back