• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XP vs Nytro

I've ridden a 800 XP and a Nytro back to back. No doubt the XP had a lot more power. But I felt way more comfortable on the Nytro is was so much smoother to carve with. The XP felt harder to balance or something.

I have no doubt the XP is a great riding sled with tons of power but it has tons of little problems just like the Nytro, however not only do you have to deal with the annoying little things you have to worry about the engine.

Warranty is great, you don't have to pay for engine trouble. But when your sled is sitting in the shop during the riding season that is a different kind of "cost."

I lost track of the doo engine failures in out riding group, must be over 10 for sure. Too many trips ruined. (and we are talking about newer machines with low miles)

Just my .02 (keep the change)

some of us boys have had this conversation...the doo is like a disposable razor...works great but its a throwaway motor...good luck with ur warranty if one of the sensitive elctronic pieces go in season and theres a typical doo parts backup...and there wont be after market parts for the electronics like pistons....when I see a bunch hit 10-12k without downtime like most yams ...Id seriously look at it...until then its fourstroke....

now if you ride like 3-500 miles each and every year and are a cruiser and dont plan on selling in a couple of years...well maybe...
but its still tough to justify 12k on a doo 800 no matter how you slice it..

I ride about 500-800 miles a year,I tend to push the 1,000 mile mark one of these years. If I get one Ill be keeping the Nytro and getting XRS or X package. I know id have to be a 800 etec vs the 600 because the 600 won't compare to the Nytro in speed

Attachments

• ProCrossF8-11LXR_1.jpg
    ProCrossF8-11LXR_1.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 90
I've recently owned a ski doo. I purchased the 09 Nytro RTX:

1. fit and finish better on Yamaha
2. ski doo will hands down be a better trail sled
3. if you dont put tons of mileage on a sled and upgrade around the the 3 to 4 yr mark the ski doo is prabably a better choice
4. with all that being said i still prefer the yamaha. Must be a combo of the quality and that 4 stroke. There is something about that yamaha 4 stroke motor. I'm not naive and understand the 800 etec is an awsome motor i just have a preference for the yamaha 4 stroke. Just my 2 cents

yeah i have had my fair share of bomb sleds and never ever had a problem! great sleds and well beat on, things would break but just due to my riding.... Skidoo makes a good sled, however i do love my nytro rtx just as much, it might be a bit "bigger" in the corners but she makes up for it in grunt and i love the suspension, After all the pluses and minuses on the machines i would still buy another yamaha, i just love the finished product!
O, and maybe the 4000kms of 240hp without any issue helps!
:yam:

Would we please stop with the jabs, I hate having to actually Moderate......I locked the other thread and this one is heading in the same direction. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

bagadonitz said:
That topic was already brought up,But I am not sure what you are proving. I know I talked about this,I am fighting with my self if I should get the XP. But now I am getting it if the loan goes threw and i can still ride the Nytro when I want. MOd you can close this,Thread is no longer needed

Given the amount of mileage you ride, if I remember correctly it was relatively low as in less than 1000 miles per year you should get the Doo. Just make sure you get rid of it around 4-5000 miles. That seems to be the consensus on when things get iffy. Yeah it may go 10,000 but if it doesn't you'll be looking at a $13,000 pile of scrap metal. Sorry but those crank bearings scare me. Honestly if I were you I would get the 500 Sno-Pro and put the D and D kit in it. That's if I was going to go back to two stroke. That chassis is amazing, perfect for Tug.

As for the bent stuff on your 08', well it's no secret that there were some issues with durability. The bottom line is you hit something, it happens, and when you do, stuff gives. If you broke down the physics of an impact you would be surprised anything survives, the forces at work are incredible.

That 500 sno pro with the D & D kit would be pretty sweet. But still just 140 hp :tg:

I would recommend anyone getting a doo, get the longest warranty you can, run the recommended ski-doo oil, and if it blows up you shouldn't have any problems having ski-doo rebuild it.

And leave it bone stock. I think this whole mess about ski-doos blowing up all the time isn't helped by everybody thinking they need to pipe, y pipe, can, diferent reeds, smaller jets, leaned out, programmers, big bore there sleds... and then crying online that their "basically stock" sled blew up with low miles.

You'll have more fun on the xp. Especially if you have to load it into a truck!

What I like about the XP's is how light they are. In '08 I was at a Doo dealer and picked up a TNT. I could not believe how light it was! I could pick the front end up off the ground without any trouble. I certainly can't say the same thing about my Nytro.

What I don't like are the greased crank bearings. The Series III motors had greased bearings at the ends of the crankshaft. The etecs have them all the way across. They do this for emissions, not engine longevity. I also don't care for all the complicated direct injection electronics. Fuel injection systems have been used for the past 20 years in sleds. But DI systems are new and they do not have all the bugs worked out.

Like has already been said, if you don't plan on keeping the sled for a long time or plan on putting a bunch of miles on it, than go for it. If you are like me who usually buys a sled and keeps it for 4 or more years before replacing it, than I think you'd be better off with a 4 stroke.

Strictly from a performance point of view, the Nytro is a 600 class engine. The Apex compares more favorably to the 800R for power, but the chassis is not as good for bump riding and it is even heavier than a Nytro.

I've XC raced against lots of XP's and they do really good in the bumps. The DI milage at race speed doesn't seem to be as good as what Doo claims because they pit for gas a little more often than I do. I know with 100% certainty that the SDI 600 could not run at race speed and get similar milage as my Vector. I've also seen lots of Doo's pulled over on the side of the course with blown belts or engine failures. Even then, that's not a fair representation because there are generally more Doos than any other brand at a race.

I knew I could get an honest opinion from Yamaha guys on the Doo,Thanks guys. But there is nothing out there tha =t I would get,I mean the 500 snopro with the D&D kit but thats only 140 HP. Plus its a Cat and I can't stand Cats lol

Back