• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha has let me down.

Scott9988

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2019 SRX
I have always been a loyal Yamaha customer. From my snowmobiles to my VMAX motorcycle and kids dirt bikes.

I recently bought the $17,000 Sidewinder SRX and what issues I have had. The first time I rode it it broke down with 27 miles on it. had to tow it home Someone at the factory didn't plug in the voltage rectifier. Then they performed the electric shock update because there was a bulletin. I brought the sled home from the dealer and headed up north for my three day snowmobile trip. With in four blocks it started giving me a c1526 code on vacation. the suspension was stuck in soft the whole week.

Brought it to the dealer and they can't fix it because Yamaha will not send them the suspension module because they are having a wide spread issue and I was told they need to figure out a fix.

Called customer support and she said they didn't know when they would have the parts available. she was going to call me on the following Monday morning with a update after she talked with the corporate service tech. as you can imagine she didn't call. So I called her and she is busy.

Thats what you get for being a loyal customer and buying the most expensive sled on the market. not even a call back.

I love my turbo viper and am about to buy a sidewinder, but ever since the cat agreement I've noticed Yamaha is turning their back on their customers with sled related issues, think it has something to do with cat as Yamaha is looking for cat to solve the issues and then follow suit.

Well I talked to my representative, she says she has been busy with other customers and hadn't had time to look into it. I asked for a supervisor and there was no supervisors available. I need to wait for a call back. Snowmobile season is so short to get this level of support. This issue started after they performed the bulletin upgrade and replaced the original module.

I’ve seen non support issues happen with OEMs when the realationship starts to sour. Yamaha is very dependent on Textron when there are chassis issues and the Yamaha rep is obviously NOT being supported by Textron on this issue thus no answers for you. Yamaha /Textron Agreenent is way overdue for renewal yet no announcements. Something is not right in TRF or the problem would be resolved. Think of it this way Textron management tells tech support start pulling back from Yamaha have them solve their own problems only way they can stand alone and support our products.

YES That's all I'm saying!

Sorry to hear about the issues, I would be ticked off too.

When I saw the electronic on the fly control when they previewed this I said...."they didn't learn their lesson"!!

As we know the Apex GT's had the electronic Ohlins in the rear and over time they were a headache too. I had issues a few times with mine. Had the rear go flat on a trip and paid through the nose to have a new solenoid put in. I bought a new (leftover) in the box Ohlins before last season from a dealer out of NY off ebay. I installed it before my trip and I kept blowing fuses. Long story short, the solenoid was shorted. I realize this new one is the module under the hood but IMHO, if the same person is riding it you usually set it up for your rider weight and style and leave it alone. The handlebar control is a gimmick in my eyes.

Sorry to hear about your new sled, your dealer should of pulled a module off another machine on the floor to get you going, $17000 of your hard earned money supporting his dealership... should have been no question.

You have every right to be cranky about the voltage regulator, as no one wants to be stranded.
So far I'm loving my electronic shocks, if I was to be stuck on any position, soft would be it. Even if I was stuck on firm, I fail to see how I would be terribly upset.
We have become a very demanding society.
Love my turbo.

Sorry to hear that! I truly like simpler things...not to be cheap, just because it works. A well adjusted sled doesn't need on the fly adjustments, at least not for me. My son has a brand new Silverado that he worries won't start...dealer says the batteries aren't that good...lol...so I go out and start my 95 ram 318 at -15F. 24 yrs. old. But the truck wanted a strong drink after that...lol.
Only point is I have high expectations for stuff today.

Last edited:
This issue of the suspension is making me a little nervous. I had an srx ready to buy and it sold. So I have found a t cat with iact on it. But the cat only comes with a 12 month warranty. Worried I’m going to be stuck with problems for a while when I have the sled. Love my 18 RTX LE with the Kashima coated shocks. But so does my wife. So I’m looking to add another sled.

I agree with everyones point, I have nothing but good things to say about my dealer. That is probably why he doesn't have any more sleds on the showroom floor to perform a swap. As for the suspension, it is set on soft and rides pretty good.

I think I am just disappointed in the quality and upset how Yamaha is handling the issue. I have been a long time customer and they do not value the relationship like I do. Just no sense of urgency or importance. Not to mention the arrogance of the customer service rep. like they are doing me a favor and letting me be a customer.

Must be a new corporate culture for them.

I agree with everyones point, I have nothing but good things to say about my dealer. That is probably why he doesn't have any more sleds on the showroom floor to perform a swap. As for the suspension, it is set on soft and rides pretty good.

I think I am just disappointed in the quality and upset how Yamaha is handling the issue. I have been a long time customer and they do not value the relationship like I do. Just no sense of urgency or importance. Not to mention the arrogance of the customer service rep. like they are doing me a favor and letting me be a customer.

Must be a new corporate culture for them.
I expect more quality from something with Yamaha on the side. As a former doo loyalist, they have issues too. Just had a fuel leak, spraying onto the exhaust of a low miles like new 2010 Skandic v800 4 stroke, as the rubber hoses on top of the engine are garbage...super dangerous for anyone who may have gone grooming. Horrible setup for something so important. My old 05 vector''s hoses are fine!! As are the old 06 Apex's.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that! I truly like simpler things...not to be cheap, just because it works. A well adjusted sled doesn't need on the fly adjustments, at least not for me. My son has a brand new Silverado that he worries won't start...dealer says the batteries aren't that good...lol...so I go out and start my 95 ram 318 at -15. 24 yrs. old. But the truck wanted a strong drink after that...lol.
Only point is I have high expectations for stuff today.
They keep making things way more complex then they need to be. Are they nice when they work? Yes very much but when things start going wrong its a pain. I love all the fancy things in my truck but do I really need them. No! I have gotten by with my old 99 F150 for 10 years. My dad owned it since new before me. This goes the same for sleds. I bought a new left over Cat in '17. I could have easily bought the high end model but I oped for the middle model because I didn't need the fancy shocks and all the accessories for the sled to have fun with it. So far I have really enjoyed the sled.

They keep making things way more complex then they need to be. Are they nice when they work? Yes very much but when things start going wrong its a pain. I love all the fancy things in my truck but do I really need them. No! I have gotten by with my old 99 F150 for 10 years. My dad owned it since new before me. This goes the same for sleds. I bought a new left over Cat in '17. I could have easily bought the high end model but I oped for the middle model because I didn't need the fancy shocks and all the accessories for the sled to have fun with it. So far I have really enjoyed the sled.
It's true...when the stuff works, it's great!
I just think failures today should be few and far between.

It's true...when the stuff works, it's great!
I just think failures today should be few and far between.
You would think with all the tech we have now-a-days that all these little things would be perfected. I know sleds are run in extreme conditions but still with proper testing these things shouldn't have all the problems they do.

Back