• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

yamaha nytro skid plate question

dave carpenter

Veteran
i picked up one of the standard skid plates form yamaha. I started install last night and it says to reinstall the front part of original? so do i reinstall factory skid plate underneith the new one or just the new one, any help would be good.

I kept the factory plate and put the skid plate over it. One thing I did though was remove the aluminum bars on the factory plate, some people have reported it cutting into the oil filter or bottom of engine if you hit something and bend them.

radianguy said:
I kept the factory plate and put the skid plate over it. One thing I did though was remove the aluminum bars on the factory plate, some people have reported it cutting into the oil filter or bottom of engine if you hit something and bend them.

At the very least you should grind the area near the filter and bottom engine cover (what would be the oil pan) to prevent the aluminum bars from digging there way in.

Put one of those on the boys sled last year. I tore it off, threw it away and am getting a Roest unit. I know this doesn't help you, unless you got a chance to return it.

The Yamaha unit compared to the Roest is like comparing a pile of turd with caviar.

Snakebit said:
Put one of those on the boys sled last year. I tore it off, threw it away and am getting a Roest unit. I know this doesn't help you, unless you got a chance to return it.

The Yamaha unit compared to the Roest is like comparing a pile of turd with caviar.

Thanks Snakebit. No comparison IMO either....but I'm biased! The Mountaintech skid plate helps to transfer heat out of the lower engine compartment as one customer pointed out as well. Stacking layers together (OEM engine protector and plastic skid plate) is not a good idea and can lead to separation due to ice build up. The 2 layers of plastic also insulate the lower engine compartment and hold heat in. The riv nuts that Yamaha and others use can end up pulling out or stripping. Thats why I use U nuts that are very sturdy and easily replaceable if needed.

Snakebit said:

I would have to agree here, if you have the opportunity I would strongly urge you to consider the Roest skid plate, the thing is rock solid and looks sleek and clean on the sled. Just a thought.

Go with the Roest plate!!! I got one last season to replace my Yamaha float plate and it looks like a factory part. No I take that back because Yamaha does not make one this good. Just get the Roest! Installs easy and I know it actually protects. Not just for looks like the Yami float plate.

Back