• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha responds to my email

2007 phazer purchased used with 2,800 miles on odometer for 3,400.00 and does 92-94 mph on groomed trail with 1 1/2" free ride track, consistently.
Just Sayin?
Something isn't right?

I for one am very unhappy with my viper.
its better then some sleds, but its not the best.
In fact, i plan to drive 4hrs to go get my nytro This week.
I have fucked with this suspension six ways to sunday, and now what its doing has totally 180d, and my settings are basicaly back to stock, yet the symptoms are the opposite as when i started.
I feel the power loss, and i bet massive amounts are lost in the header/exhaust area. Tried to fix it but excell is out of stock.
also giving speed away, clutch is engaging too high. If the rpm spread is 8k idle to redline, and you dont start to 4k, your leaving 3000rpms on the table. My gas mileage agrees with this. Its not as good as nytro, and the engagement feels high.
This chassis is remarkable, it trully is, i found a sweet spot of adjustment for a certain type of trail, and i was amazed at how far back i could sit and it still railed the corners. Trail went to bumps and it went away. Pogo stick.
But this suspension is finicky. And yamaha took tools away from us. Why no adjustable valving?
I could fix this dam thing if i could adjust compression and rebound!
Stingray wants me to do his spring mod, i say if im going to throw 160 at a spring, why not throw 1200 and get the tools i really want, valving!
I could fix what i have if i had the same knobs and screws the nytro had!

im thinking its in the rear suspension and secondary. i had my secondary at 6-1 and it seems way harder to change belts than 6-1 on my apex. (same springs) i went to 2-3 on the secondary and am clutching the primary for that. my 80 to 100 is way better. havent been on a stretch smooth enough to see if i gained on top. but i assume i will. i saw 102 breaking trail across a rough lake. i just want 110 on packed trail. shouldnt be a problem with a turbo. but seems to be. the only turbos i see running larger top speed numbers are the hurricanes with the hurricane kit. i got the turbo but had the clutching previously. remember daves kit runs the secondary at 0-1.

Stage 1 mpi turbo on mine, totally stock secondary spring and helix, 6-2 wrap, lower engaging primary spring and adjustable weights running stock 8jp belt will run 109 mph in 800-900 feet and shifted out. I think the only major change I have over other guys is that I spent the little extra money on getting shocks valved properly and softer torsion springs. Suspension is a huge factor on the procross chassis!

The trail performance on these sleds is great. I wouldnt give up any of it to go 5mph faster. I supose i could buy a nytro, speend 5k on suspension to try to make it as capable of a trail sled (still wouldnt be there) so i could bragg about top speed that i might use about 1% of the time. Or i could just be happy with with the best handeling sled i have ever owned!! If you want to go fast my buddy has a 00 piped and clutched xcr tripple that will stomp an apex. I still dont want to ride it!

I agree with bill and strudroes I just love everything but top end. If I could hit 100-105 perfect rail line and 95ish in regular I'd be happy but wish we could fix it. Why are the people that hate vipers on this forum anyway, maybe they wish they could have one. We do know there is a problem.

There are so many things that can affect top speed, these skids do not allow the skis to un load on acell, good for handeling not good for speed. the reverse in the chaincase, a lot of rotating mass. convient but definately saps some power. the fact that these engines like to run 9000+ rpm clutches loose some efficiency at those speeds. also the ride height is a limiting factor. These sleds just were not built for top speed and getting 100mph+ speeds on a regular basis is going to be difficult at best. I have just not found any easy fix and dont know if there is one (except boost). I think it is a combo of many things not just one magic mod that is going to do it. I know everybody wants a great handeling,riding fast and reliable sled but it may just be a case of you cant have it all.

Reactions: 1tp
I know just wish Yamaha would stand behind there products a bit more. If a phazer is quicker they could help us out a bit considering the price points is way different but I guess there is not much they can do.

I hear you, but it would most likley take a major redesign of the entire sled and would loose a lot of what makes it such a great trail sled (nytro in viper clothing). The price point isnt bad here my 14 rtx last year was under 11k us. my friend just bought a leftover ltx se for 9800. add a turbo and be done for less than an apex.

Must be nice here Rtx-le was within a few hundred of a new apex . I feel a little stupid list was$15999. I abviously didn't pay that much but list apex xtx was I believe $16200 or so.i thought I did enough research. That's why I'm kinda mad at Yamaha.

I see your point. Funny thing is I was riding yesterday with a friend on a new polaris axys 800. on the lake I can run with him to about 80mph at which point he walks away. On the trail his 800 feels like a pig in comparison. The power delivery is so much different. Not so funny is later in the day he rolled his sled trying to keep up on a twisty trail. If we ran railroad grades and lakes that is probably the sled I would own. We run far more miles on winding trailes whare the viper excells. On the lake I just hang back, nobody gives me a hard time because they know whats coming when we get in the woods!! Its all about having the right tool for the job!!

Back